• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310a pump noise

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Hi new to this site and looks to be very useful; I have a JD 310a now for 15 years now and it has always had a hydro. pump noise [high pressure pump] the round rubber had to be replace for the coupler which took care of that noise but I get a pump noise when the tractor is not moving anything,loader ,hoe, but when I pull a lever the pump is quiet. I hear that is common with this pump???? Is the pump just at the end of its life ?? Could it be the de-stroke valve on the side of the pump and of so can it be replace with a new valve and seat? Also I have never cleaned the screen in the transmission, I have change both the filters down there several times and they are always clean. My question is the screen location at the end of the 3 1/2'' hose that go's between the vertical filter can and the transmission? If thats the case it looks like I would have to remove the vertical can and disconnect the hoses going to it which seems like a lot of work for a screen cleaning. Any thoughts here would be very appreciated.

lantraxco

When you are not using any functions the pump destrokes by pressurizing the housing which floats the pistons off the pump crankshaft, hard to say exactly what is causing the noise. There is a fine screen in the stroke control valve that may or may not need cleaning. The suction strainer is accessed I believe on the left side where the hydraulic filter connects to the transmission case. If your transmission filter is clean I wouldn't get too het up about the strainer, but if you decide to change the transmission/hydraulic oil at some point I would say yank it out and give it a clean if needed then.

Next time you run it, if you can do it safely, crawl under the machine and listen at the hydraulic filter. The transmission charge pump supplies supercharge oil to the hydraulic pump and if the hydraulic pump isn't pumping that oil has to go somewhere. There's a pressure regulating spool in the hydraulic filter head that opens I believe at 100 or 150 psi and dumps excess oil back to the transmission case. The noise might be nothing more than that spool vibrating or even a steel line vibrating going to the pump inlet?

flyingpassage

Occupation
Hi Thanks for the reply I will check it out tomorrow, I have heard of steel lines that might be hitting loader frames Etc. But to me the noise seems to come right at the pump itself but you know noise can travel. Just trying to make the machine a little better. I never have removed the stroke control valve is there any thing else that I might look at besides the screen?? Thanks for taking the time here with me will keep you posted Jeff

flyingpassage

Occupation
Hi pulled the transmission screen and after 15 + years the only thing I found in it was the foil top to a oil container no brake junk or anything. Call two JD dealers for a new filter and guess what they have to order it. Check with Ag States and they have one its on its way. I went on your web site great looking machines you have there are you the owner of the company?? I like that you are US manufacturer using US parts keeping US workers working. What a great idea. well I am 61 and back 25 -30 years ago this was all you saw. Now this country is in the ****ter buying from China or India pretty sad.. I don't see very many of your vehicles in the North east do you sell here or have a dealer out here?? I'am a retired UPS guy who might be looking for a little something to do. Jeff

flyingpassage

Occupation
well getting ready to do a fluid change in my john deere 310a ,I have had it 20 years now and only change the two filters and screen under there.I know it holds 20 gal. and you can drain about 10, looking at the oil at the dip stick it is clean looking no water anyway. Should I be happy with just dumping 10 gallons and call it good? I don't mind buying another 5 or 10 gallons if it worth it

Delmer

Drain it and refill is fine. Might add a magnet to the drain plug, the screen and filter. Hard drive magnets are powerful, cheap and easy to stick to metal filters. If you want a little more oil without taking anything apart, you can shut it off with the loader and hoe up and all cylinders extended, then drain the oil, then lower the implements so they retract the cylinders as well as they can, that will drain a little more oil out. When you start up again, run all the cylinders back and forth several times without deadheading, to remove the air from the system without compressing it.

Louis Shubert

Hey if you ever happen to figure this out I would love to know what fixed it. I believe my 510b has the same exact problem. It doesn't seem to be of harm.. yet anyway. but it's just annoying to me. 1 because it seems abnormal and 2 I just can't seem to figure it out. I'll be thinking around with my 510b tomorrow and may mess around with the hydraulics again after I fix my blower motor about that time of year I'll need heat soon.

flyingpassage

Occupation
Hi Louis; No have not figured it out yet, I would say it is the pump. My thinking is when it craps out I will replace it I hate to just do it at 1000.00 for a rebuilt. Keep me posted with yours Jeff