• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 310a cab relay

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Hi I have a 310a with cab in the 377000 production range ,I have gone throw two of these cab relays in 2 weeks. I do have a copy of the TM1158 but really not sure how to read it......I think maybe and it is a big maybe that the key switch wire should go to the starter solenoid S terminal???? I find that when I run the tractor that the relay gets hot like it has aload on it. It only should power heater wipers horn and that's about it. Any help I would be very thankful for Jeff

hookedondiesel

Relays are pretty basic, " a small current used to supply a larger current".
Has anyone fiddled with the wiring before or did this just start happening. Could be a short somewhere in the circuit, the larger power feed to the relay should be fused with a larger fuse than than the smaller current one. The "S" feed should not come directly from the key switch, to much current there for the switch,, it should go through a relay first.
If this is a "4" pin relay for the starter only, it should turn itself off after a start, therefore, it shouldn't overheat afterwards. If you could upload a diagram of that relay and the starter, it would also help. Does the relay burn out immediately or does it take time. Does the machine start well. The starter itself could be drawing too much current also, in that case, it would need to be replaced. This is only my quesstimate, it's hard to tell without being there. I've just re-read your post and see that this relay also supplies power to other components, were any of these working also at the time of overheating? One of them could also be the culprit.

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Relays are pretty basic, " a small current used to supply a larger current".
Has anyone fiddled with the wiring before or did this just start happening. Could be a short somewhere in the circuit, the larger power feed to the relay should be fused with a larger fuse than than the smaller current one. The "S" feed should not come directly from the key switch, to much current there for the switch,, it should go through a relay first.
If this is a "4" pin relay for the starter only, it should turn itself off after a start, therefore, it shouldn't overheat afterwards. If you could upload a diagram of that relay and the starter, it would also help. Does the relay burn out immediately or does it take time. Does the machine start well. The starter itself could be drawing too much current also, in that case, it would need to be replaced. This is only my quesstimate, it's hard to tell without being there. I've just re-read your post and see that this relay also supplies power to other components, were any of these working also at the time of overheating? One of them could also be the culprit.
Hi thanks for the reply I removed the John deere relay and ran the part number on lt and found that it was not a continuous type relay. I did call greens supply and they should be sending me the correct part I hope this will take care of the problem.....Jeff