• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310a accumulator

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Hi has anyone had to service the accumulator on 310a, I have owned my hoe for over 15 years and never have checked it for the 500 pounds of pressure its should have. It will lift a outrigger 4 or 5 inches off the ground after you shut the engine down. I have always noticed that the 3/4'' high pressure line at the accumulator I get a sort of noise, a vibration in the line, which will go away whenever you pull a lever.Could the nitrogen charge be low so the accumulator is not acting as a shock absorber for the hyd. system??? Thanks Jeff

Deon

If your 310A is a late 70s or early 80s machine your accumulated should be to soften the shift actions from forward to reverse when shuttle shifting. I don't remember it being connected to the stabalizer legs but maybe it is. Do your shuttle functions feel smooth?

flyingpassage

Occupation
retired UPS feeder driver
Hi thanks for the reply; the shift from forward to reverse is smooth but at the same time I'am not horsing hard ether. I think it might of been design their for if you stall you still have a little steering kind of a safety thing. It is T off the main 3/4 high pressure line from the pump so it would be connected to all the hyd. system of the hoe I would say. I was just wondering that the noise I hear at the accumulator in that 3/4 line is a result from a low nitrogen situation in the accumulator??? It almost sounds like air in the line but the loader and hoe work as they should. The noise stops then when you pull any lever.I see on the chart in the cab that at 200 it should be checked. I never have wounder if anyone else looks at it? Thanks Jeff

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
I wouldn't worry too much about the noise/vibration if everything works as it should. I believe the accumulator on these units is more of a shock absorber for the hyd system, but I may be wrong. There is an orifice type check valve with a spring behind the fitting that threads into it, i'd see if that spring may be broken? Last one I had apart was pretty beat up and also caused noise/vibration. There is no schrader valve on these accumulators only a plug on the back side labeled "drain plug" , I have no idea how you would check the charge pressure?? Make sure you bleed the pressure off by moving the control levers, before cracking the line to the accumulator.

Last edited: