• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

john deere 310 sg shuttle shift isssues

stendori

hello, new to this forum and thanks for looking. i have a 2000 310 SG w/ the the power shift 4 speed and all sudden it will not go into and gear except 1st in either fwd or rev. it has about 6800 hrs. was working fine and all sudden it acts like it has no electric power. didn't see any unhooked wires but not really sure where to look and my owners manual isn't no help. i only found in searching the forum where it didnt work at all but nothing about only working in 1st gear. any help to start looking would be great as only having low gear takes forever going any distance.

stendori

just an update. checked all the wires which look good. strange is that if i pick up the front end with the bucket i can sometimes get it to go into 2nd or 3rd in reverse only with no slippage. can feel it when it goes into forward in 2nd but no movement. checked the transmission fluid which is fine. did find that the 2 wire connector that goes into the round (about 10" around) housing that t he driveshaft goes into the rear end, but it looks like it's been unplugged for awhile. maybe if i can find an free pdf service manual i could find out more.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF stendori;)!

Need a serial number please.

Please clarify. The transmission works OK in 1st Forward and 1st Reverse with plenty of pushing power? Does not work in 2nd - 4th Forward, 2nd - 3rd Reverse?

Transmission oil level checked with the engine idling and transmission warm?

Plug that wire back in (if the switch is not broken) and see what happens. That is for the Park Brake pressure switch.

stendori

thank you for the reply. ser# xt0310sg897851 or it's TO310sg897851 the first number says it's a product identification number, where the next one is a number the dealer put on a ser# tag.
the transmission works fine in 1st forward and reverse with no slippage and has full power to work. when shifting 2nd-4th in either F/R it does nothing won't move or continue to move when shifting on the fly once i'm already moving. how ever weird as it seems, when i used the bucket to raise the front end and then tried 2nd in reverse, it would sometimes work and even in 3rd it would move without seeming to slip but this did not work if i tried going in forward except 1st gear. pick up the bucket while still in 2nd reverse it would move with out issue until you shift into neutral then it would not work again. i checked fluid thinking it might be low, but it was in normal range when the engine was running and warm. i did plug the brake wire back in and nothing changed and the brake has always worked fine.
just a side thought I just had, this issue just started while i was working the machine and i used the left side (i unlocked them to work separate for this move) brake pedal to steer and it seemed to start having the tranny issue shortly after. don't know if it's related or not but thought i would mention it. thanks again

stendori

just another update as i have been using the machine most of the day. so the wire plug just made it so the light on the dash is on showing the brake is on which is good. so i found using the backhoe that is doesn't matter about raising the front end to get the reverse working in 2nd and up. it worked off and on by switching between 1st and 2nd while in neutral. i'm guessing must be some sort of solenoid issue as it works fine when it's in gear. still have no forward beyond 1st though. thank you

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sounds like you may have and FNR issue. If you are handy with a digital voltmeter, then remove the F12 - 10A FNR/Park Brake Unload Valve Fuse (second from the left closer to the window) and put your meter in place of the fuse (don't force the meter leads into the fuse sockets, you might want to make 2 jumper wires with spade connectors on the end to attach meter to). With the meter set to 10 A (or 20 A) scale, red lead closer to the window and black lead closer to the seat. With the engine idling, seat facing forward and the park brake released, record the amperage in each gear 1-4 Forward and 1-3 Reverse and post the results.

stendori

here's what i came up with. forward- 1st- 3.80, 2nd-3.47, 3rd-3.47, 4th-3.16
reverse- 1st-3.92, 2nd-3.58, 3rd-3.58
thanks again

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I apologize, can you run those numbers again with the seat in the backhoe position. I need to to take the hydraulic pump unloader solenoid out of the readings. Also what is your reading in neutral with the park brake released (seat in backhoe position as well). 1st, 2nd and 3rd should be approximately the same in F and R with only 4th F dropping approximately 0.5 A.

Do you have pressure gauges?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
It sounds like your speed solenoid #1 is dropping out. Check for voltage coming out of the FNR at the T17 Blue wire at the FNR connector (under plastic at steering wheel) pin B in 2nd F or R.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
It is marked, both the wire (T17) and the connector ("B"). You will see I think 2 4-pin connectors. You want the one with all the blue wires going through it.
However it is not at the fuse panel. It under the plastic on the steering column under the steering wheel.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Engine running, park brake released, 2nd F. Can be checked by either back probing (my preferred method) or with that connector unplugged. Just trying to see if the voltage is passing through the the FNR. The FNR lever assembly has been an issue with those machines with intermittent/no travel complaints.

stendori

thanks again. i checked with it running with brake off and different ways and the most i could get was .013 volts. changes a little while changing gears. so you think i am looking at the gear selector or a solenoid issue. i would say it is an electrical issue for sure as while i get it to work in reverse( about 40% of the time, when i keep shifting between 1st and 2nd while in neutral then drop it into reverse) it will work normally and i can t so right up through 4th with it having it's normal power in those gears. just trying to figure what part i need to buy. thanks for the help.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If you have no voltage coming out of the FNR then it sounds like it is defective.

stendori

weird how it does not work in forward but will work in reverse in all gears when it works though. thanks for the help advice