• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 301SE Back Hoe / Loader

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
John Deere 301SE Back Hoe / Loader

Here is a picture of the control valves for the backhoe.

The unit with the black line around it is leaking hydraulic fluid this is the swing control.

This is the first one of these I have ever worked on so very unfamiliar.

My question is can I just screw the par down and replace some “O” rings or gaskets.

Is there a spring in side that cap and if so how hard will it be to get it back together?

Phil P SR

Attachments

• IMG_0092-2.jpg
    IMG_0092-2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18

Diesel Dave

No big deal to remove or reinstall the relief valve.
1691460802864.jpeg
Seal kit for the relief valve is part # AT314538 , see pic below.
1691461018309.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Thank you Diesel Dave

Now I will see about getting some seals I have looked further and there is also a couple leaking on the front loader control pack.

Last question one of the swing cylinders has a damage shat that cause it to leak fluid when it is about 2/3 retracted.

How hard is it to remove that cylinder what holds the pivot pin in place?

Phil P

Diesel Dave

The swing cylinders pivot on a trunnion cap that is bolted to the main frame.
See pic below.
Remove the 4 bolts and move the trunnion cap straight up a few inches until it is clear of both swing cylinder upper pivots.The trunnion cap is heavy and awkward, goes pretty good with 2 people and a couple of pry bars.
Using a couple of pry bars again, move the swing cylinder straight up until it clears the lower pivot bushing.
1691508561949.jpeg

Last edited:

Diesel Dave

Thank you Diesel Dave

Now I will see about getting some seals I have looked further and there is also a couple leaking on the front loader control pack.
The online parts catalog doesn’t specify if the loader function reliefs are 7/8“ or 1 1/16“ .
You may have to order a mix of AT314539 and AT314538 seal kits.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello Diesel Dave

I now have 2 problems The picture I too of the Backhoe / loader clearly shows a model of 301SE.

John Deere says there is no such model and the part number show they are for a 310E

I am unable to locate a data tag Can you tell me where I would find it?

Thanks

Phil P

Diesel Dave

The machine serial number tag should be in the area circled in red.
Deere also stamped the last 6 digits of the serial number into the frame under neath the tag at the same location.
A Deere dealer can look up machine specific details in the Deere system using only the last 6 digits of the serial number.
Also assuming the original engine is in the machine ,a Deere dealer can cross reference the engine serial number to the machine serial number as well.
1691553294052.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello mg2361

I don’t quite understand your comment?

However I now have reviewed my pictures and find the side I got the model 301 on is different than the other side it says 310SE .

Now what is the difference between the 310E and the 310SE?

Phil P

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I don’t quite understand your comment?
I thought posting a picture of your machine would help with identifying it, because there is a big difference between a 301 and a 310SE. Now the difference between a 310E and a 310SE would be more difficult to determine with a picture. So, a serial number would help.

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Mg2361 Thanks for asking

You are correct there is no John Deere 301SE LOL

This unit is a 310SE

Here is the data tag.

Phil P

Attachments

• 20230811_151832-2.jpg
    20230811_151832-2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 3

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
If anyone is interested in some of the back ground on this 80 year old guy that still likes working on these old dinosaurs here is a link.

My wife had a coffees shop for 10 years 25 years ago and I just never did away with her web page and now use it for our personal fun page.

Besides what you see there I hold a number of Aircraft, Automotive, Industrial engine and IT certifications.

www.sallyscoffees.com

Phil P

Phil P

Occupation
Consultant
Hello all

To b ring you up to date.

The cylinder could not be removed without removing the control stack. There was not enough room between the bottom of the control stack and the bar with the upper trunnion support in it.

So, I remove the guts replaced the rod and seals and put it back together and got back in service yesterday 9-20-2023.

Phil P

Steve Austin

If you want to compare all the specs. This will be from Deere.
If you type in Pdf310e or se deere backhoe in your browser, you can open the file and it will have all the specs for your unit just scroll down and all info is there. If you encounter problems let me know and i will send you the link this works for most all Deere equipment.