• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 160C LC

Rooster75

My excavators hydraulics seem to be acting up. It runs & operates fine and then it takes a notion to seem to operate a reduced hydraulic power. I haven’t noticed whether or not the engine RPM’s drop also. It may last a few seconds or several minutes. I’ve just recently changed hydraulic oil & filters with no noticeable metal in either. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Rooster75

Oh forgot to mention sometimes when tracking it in high speed it slows down on its own then speeds back up. ‍♂️‍♂️

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Rooster
A possible cause can be that of the pilot or servo pressure suggest you check this when you have the fault its a good starting point.
Kind regards
Uffex

Attachments

• CheckingServo Pressure.pdf
    944.7 KB · Views: 18

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Sounds like a possible engine power issue. Is the check engine light on Second one from the bottom on the right, with exclamation point)? Take note of the engine speed (4th press of the select button, see check codes>>). Is it bogging down? Also check for hydraulic system codes. Press and hold the set switch, then turn key on, when bulb check complete let go of the set switch. Then use the display select button (I think it will be about 7 presses of the select button) to scroll until you see a zero on the left side (for codes). Is there another number to the right of that (could be anything from 0 to 19)? When display reads a 4 (pump 1) or a 5 (pump 2) on the left the numbers to the right will be control pressures. What do they read when a function is stalled?

Rooster75

Both pumps show 4.1 when stalled. There is 0 beside the 0. How do I find out what all the other things are on the display I went through? Oh & Thanks. I had no idea how to do that. It’s showing it’s running around 2k wide open.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What is your engine rpm specifically at full throttle and full throttle with a function (one reading with bucket curl and one with swing) stalled (in P mode) with the engine at operating temperature?
7 is an engine rpm dial malfunction. What is next to 8 when idle and full throttle? The list below is what the items on the screen (in parenthesis) mean.

(SCREEN) - description
(0.0 h) - hr meter
(0.0 h) - Trip 1
(0.0 h) - Trip 2
(User..n……min̄¹) - actual engine speed
(User..23…… °C) - Hydraulic oil temperature in Celsius
(User L1..E……t) - not used
(User L2..E…...%) - not used
(0…...0) – Diagnostic trouble code
(1……0) – Not used
(2……0) - Pump 1 delivery pressure in mPa
(3……0) – Pump2 delivery pressure in mPa
(4……0) – Pump 1 control Pressure in mPa
(5……0) – Pump 2 control pressure in mPa
(6……700) – Target engine speed in rpm
(7……0.2) – EC angle in volts
(8……0.5) – Engine rpm dial in volts
(9……0.0) – Boom up pilot pressure in mPa
(A……0.0) – arm in pilot pressure in mPa
(b……0.0) – swing pilot pressure in mPa
(c……0.0) – propel pilot pressure in mPa
(d……0.0) – dig and swing pilot pressure in mPa
(E……0.0) – attachment control pressure in mPa
(F……0) – work mode

Last edited:

Rooster75

With machine stalled bucket is around 1840. It fluctuates either couple numbers. Swing is 1842. RPMs are now at 1995 - 2000. When I first started it was around 1900. Next to 8 at full is 3.3. Idle is 0.2.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
I suspect an engine power issue. Fast idle no load should be 2180-2380 rpm. With either of those functions stalled it should be 2030-2050 rpm. Throttle voltages seem a little low but unfortunately I don't have a spec for that. Typically throttle voltages would be approximately 0.5 - 1.0 V on the low end and 4.0 - 4.5 on the high end. Might want to try a speed dial (part # 4609249). There are voltage checks for throttle issues but it gets complicated due to two controllers being involved.

Rooster75

Thank You. I am going to order part tomorrow. Hopefully that will help or solve the problem. Stay tuned.