• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 1010

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Hey fellas, what can you tell me about this machine? I did a search and couldn't find much on it.
I've been offered one for a very good price but don't know a thing about them. This particular one hasn't run for a few years but "ran good when parked". :)
I don't know what year this particular machine is or if it's gas or diesel as I haven't contacted the gentleman back yet, he just answered my wanted dozer ad, told me what machine he had (with a picture) and gave me a phone number.

Thanks!

Palmer78

I don't know much about the 1010 other than they are old and small. What do you need a dozer for? If you need a dozer for a certain type of work, then we might be able to tell you if this model will get the job done or not.

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
I don't know much about the 1010 other than they are old and small. What do you need a dozer for? If you need a dozer for a certain type of work, then we might be able to tell you if this model will get the job done or not.

This machine will only be used for my personal use on a small 12 or so acres (steep acres) for road maintenance and bringing firewood out occasionally.
I am just mainly wondering if there's any issues with them and how people who own them or have run them like them.

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Okay, just got off the phone with the owner and he says this is indeed a diesel model but unsure of what year it is--although he did say these were built between 1960 and 1968. He says it runs great but the left steering clutch needs attention.
Since it's been sitting for a number of years I asked what he thought it would take to get it fired--some ether and a battery. :)

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
For everthing you want to know about John Deere 1010, go to JDcrawlers.com

X2--If Lavoy and co.don't know the answers,you're SOL. But they will,good luck.I've got the predecessor,the 440,mines a track loader with a 2/53 Jimmy diesel.

waterman28

1010 jd

Thanks guys. I've poked around a little bit over there but seems kinda unpopulated--some good info though.
Here's a pic of the one I'm hoping to get.

https://mg.mail.yahoo.com/ya/downlo...w&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=YahooMailNeo

I own a 1964 1010 diesel. it has served me well. Parts are available but from Ma Deere expect to pay. Power is good and it always starts using the glow plugs even at 0 degree temps. These must use glow plugs even when warm. Never starting fluid. They aren't huge so remember what their limits are and they will work for you. If you don't remember what the limits are you will work on them. http://www.jdcrawlers.com is a great site for older smaller dozers, just dig around there for info.

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Went out and looked at it yesterday. We tried getting it fired but no dice. The diesel was rank so we drained the tank and what we could from the pump and filters. The glow plugs were getting power but I have no way of knowing if they were actually working. Didn't have any ether but tried some flammable brake clean and got a couple signs of life accompanied by some smoke but it just wouldn't take off.
Going out again next weekend with some ether and give it another shot. I know ether is frowned upon but evidently it's what gets this machine lit--according to the previous and current owner.
Overall, this thing looks pretty decent. However the left side track bushings are worn through to the pins.

A few more pics.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . ACcrazy. I mentioned on another thread I have always just use a gasoline soaked rag under the intake, they suck in the fumes and if they are going to start they light right off with out that ether rattle . . . seems to be gentler on the engine.

Cheers.

Delmer

If you're not getting fuel mist out the exhaust then the cylinders aren't getting any fuel. Work your way through the system before cranking it without fuel. If the glow plugs don't feel warm, then they're not working. They're also a big amp draw (30-40?) so you'll see it if there's a working ammeter or you can check for a spark if you touch a hot wire to each plug individually. Glow plugs and ether are a big no-no.

Getting the engine running is going to look cheap and easy compared to replacing the undercarriage and fixing the steering/brakes.

g_man

Occupation
Retired
If you're not getting fuel mist out the exhaust then the cylinders aren't getting any fuel. Work your way through the system before cranking it without fuel. If the glow plugs don't feel warm, then they're not working. They're also a big amp draw (30-40?) so you'll see it if there's a working ammeter or you can check for a spark if you touch a hot wire to each plug individually. Glow plugs and ether are a big no-no.

Getting the engine running is going to look cheap and easy compared to replacing the undercarriage and fixing the steering/brakes.

If I remember right on JDCrawlers there is a very good and long thread (spans a long time) where someone posted excellant pictures and explanations of all the work he did on the U/C and brakes. If it has been setting I would assume you will need to do the clutches and brakes.