• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

John Deere 1010 crawler parts?

BEK

Occupation
retired
I recently acquired an early John Deere 1010 crawler and a JD 500A backhoe. Both have their problems, but they were just about given to me. So I can put some time and a few buck into them.

The 1010 crawler does not steer left and there is no tension on the steering handle when pulled back and will actually stay back by it's self. It's like there is is no throw out bearing. I'm going to tear down the final drive on that side to see what's up. Where is a good place besides JD to buy replacement parts?

Don Shilling

Occupation
Retired, multi occupation
There are several John Deere dozer enthusiast groups on the internet. A Google search will turn them up. I've never had any problems finding parts for my 440.

motoOzarks

Occupation
self employed
every 1010 has steering problems
The series was not their best
Watch for cracked rear housings as things can move around inside
lots of stuff to remove to get to steering clutches
use the manual to explain how to adjust
good luck

Wilson892

From 35 year old memories the steering clutch is a simple disc and pressure plate setup. Should be able to disassemble and have disc and pressure plate rebuilt.

John

russ61

Occupation
screw machine shop supervisor
The little 1010 has a multi disc steering clutch, known for sticking. The link for jd crawlers is a real good place to start. Lavoy is the guy that runs it, don't think you'll find anybody more knowledgeable on JD crawlers. You'll need a JD7 gage to adjust the clutches, Lavoy usually has them. Get a manual!