• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG Skytrak Broken Retract chain...

tpichon

I am in need of some advice on how to go about changing out the retractor chain (which broke and cut into hoses).
Should I remove the entire boom from the machine, or try and take it apart on the machine. Any good color manuals
I can reference?

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I have a yard full of neglected equipment I'm trying to get back in service and it
driving me crazy! :Banghead

jatspic05

Use service manual 31200353 found on JLG website, Section 3 for the boom has the chain removal procedure.
Your top chains are your extend usually the bigger chains, the bottom chain is your retract chain, this is the chain that usually damages your hydraulic hoses. If you have to replace the hoses, your best option in my opinion is to buy from JLG.
Follow the procedure in the manual. You don't have to disassemble the boom unless the chains have folded over and are wedged in between boom sections. If not wedged, the job is not that difficult. Use some good flat line or small nylon twine and pull the chains through the boom sections.

tpichon

I found the manual. Pretty detailed. But great info. I'll go tackle it in the AM.

Thank you! :usa:usa

Last edited:

Svaby

Skytrak hoses are the easiest to replace out of any other Jlg machine, and from my experience when one chain breaks the rest are soon to come!