• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG N35E

ucsbuilders

Move if necessary, this seemed the most appropriate location.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I recently picked up a 1997 JLG N35E man boom lift from auction. I was able to find the original owners to hear why they were liquidating it. The machine died in use and had no functions working. I was told they had spent over 2 hours on the phone diagnosing w/ JLG and the conclusion was it needed a DC motor controller and they had been quoted an absurd price to repair.

One day I'll learn to never trust someone else's diagnosis. I'm not dumb, but this isn't my area of expertise. I bought a new motor controller to throw in and same issue, nothing rectified. OK, time to KISS. I started poking around w/ a multimeter. First, the unit came w/ no batteries so I've got a set of new batteries in and and voltage is good. I've been able to find wiring diagrams online and noticed that it seems some things were rewired in the process of doing diagnostic prior to me receiving it.

Had a hunch there was a problem with the key switch which was correct. I replaced this 12 dollar part and now some things have started happening. Most notably if I step on the foot pedal in the basket, the machine beeps at me. Hooray! If I attempt to steer, I can hear both steer contactors engage.

I should add at this point, I had a heavy equipment tech come out the other day to look at it. He proceeded think the main contactor was bad and also possibly the pump motor as jumping power to it didn't kick it on. Well I pulled the main contactor out and bench tested it. It checks out. It's fine. I pulled the pump motor and it also checked out and then realized that negative power to it is also contactor controlled so when we fed it 48v positive, there was no negative to complete the path. Moral of that story, I just need to put in the effort myself.

So further investigation I have determined that I have no power at the 7v fuse on either side regardless of key position. I'm starting to lean towards the tach board being damaged. There is power at the 20v fuse on both sides. The 7a fuse is good, but it simply isn't getting power.

There is no power going to the DC motor controller. The green led does not light up at all. The main contactor is not being engaged which I suspect is the culprit of that and I was getting thrown off because I was seeing continuity to negative 48v on the positive 48v side. I'm pretty sure the original motor controller is fine (though some asshole damaged it when removing the potting to inspect it by using a drill bit that deleted some traces off the primary pcb which he "might" be able to repair if someone has a picture of the backside of that board).

So where do I go from here? Where is 7v power supposed to come from for the fuse? I'm assuming the tach board is supposed to supply that and that more than likely I have a bad board there that has caused all these issues.

Any help is most assuredly appreciated to help me get this thing going so I can finish building my house. Thanks!

If anyone has some actual pictures of the wiring in the motor compartment, that would also be handy.

FWIW the serial number ends 29739.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums USCb! Glad to have you.

Going to move this over to the Other construction equipment forum as that's where the majority of boom lift threads are.

ucsbuilders

Ok I know I'm not getting 48v to the tach control board that would power the 7a fuse. Looking upstream, I think it has to do w/ the key switch. In this diagram, does the dashed lines mean that 4 and 1 should be connected inside the switch? Pin 1 is what would supply power to the controller and I have nothing. I also figured out something was not right w/ the wiring because it seems I get controls in the basket when I turn the switch down which should be for the ground control.

The replacement switch I have is not numbered 1-6 like this but is 1-4 w/ a B and B1.

It looks like 4 and 1 would correspond to B and B1 but I might have to build a jumper wire to pass power from 4 to 1.

Going to try it out, but someone confirming the dashed line theory would be appreciated.

*I hate wiring diagrams and electrical diagnosis, especially when I don't get a connector pin out diagram that shows positions of pins*

1690819994563.png

ucsbuilders

Steadily making progress. I figured out the switch pretty sure, rewired it, jumped 1 to 4 and now I actually get contactors clicking in any function, get beeping in both control positions AND MORE IMPORTANTLY THE GREEN LED FOR THE DRIVE CONTROLLER IS NOW ON. But, it's flashing code six for a faulty drive hand controller.

New rabbit hole but I feel like I'm getting closer!

ucsbuilders

Even more progress. Reset everything and I've got a solid green. No pump kicking in though but I do know the pump works. I'm seeing a significant voltage drop over the primary contactor, going from 50V to 30v. Not sure if the contactor is just making poor contact, or if there is a draw somewhere else to ground reducing it.

ucsbuilders

Nothing from nobody? :(

I've replaced the main contactor. Still have 50v on the battery side and 30v on the other side. Something has to be shorted draining it. Too hot to poke more. Damn this triple digit temps.