• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 660SJ throttle hunting when cold

Skidloadertech

Occupation
Service Manager
Hi, I am working on a JLG 660SJ with a Deutz D 4 2011 in it. When this machine is cold 5 degrees C or colder ambient the throttle hunts around until it codes out and shuts down. It doesn’t seem to make a big difference on engine temperature. What I mean is the machine can be started and run long enough to bring up engine temp but if ambient is cold the problem persists. If the machine is in the warm shop for an hour or so it runs perfect. Because of that I think this problem is JLG related. The engine also runs fine with electric governor actuator removed running just on the mechanical governor.
I’ve tested fuel supply, omhed out actuator wires to the ECM, installed new software, checked the advance cold start timing system, compared real time engine speed and temperature actuals with ECM values , tried two different new actuators and did all the tests to prove they were good.
I have a lot of experience on Deutz engines especially the 1011 and 2011 yet I am missing something. Hoping that a JLG tech chimes in here. Or maybe another Deutz tech. I’m not too proud or confident to not take ideas or suggestions but if you don’t know what a Deutz 2011 is or don’t remotely understand the tests and problems that I referenced above, you probably won’t be much help Thanks

Skidloadertech

Occupation
Service Manager
So it seems like I have a bad ECM. This age of Deutz ECMs have a temp sensor built in. On this machine the ECM is not mounted real close to the engine.
Long story short is when the ECM is warmed with a heat gun the engine runs fine .
Waiting on the new ECM to come but I’m very sure it will fix it.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
That must be a common thing with those lifts. I swear the majority of Deutz-powered JLG lifts, regardless of age, that I've been around have RPM hunt. Not a huge amount, maybe 100 RPM or so (by ear).