• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 6042 overheating maybe?

Pecos McLeod

So I’ve got a 6042 SkyTrak. I think it’s a 2007.

I’ve noticed the temp gauge has been indicating it’s running hot (220-230 f)
I question whether the gauge is inaccurate, because if I tap the cluster, or set the brake switch it usually drops about 10 degrees.
Coolant is good, same temp indication whether idling or operating.
Not well versed on this issue, so any help appreciated.
Thanks.

Vetech63

You need to verify if the engine is actually overheating, or the gauge or sender is bad. An IR gun check would greatly help. Have you been losing coolant?

Pecos McLeod

You need to verify if the engine is actually overheating, or the gauge or sender is bad. An IR gun check would greatly help. Have you been losing coolant?

No loss of coolant. Where should I point the ir gun to check?
Thanks for the comment.

Delmer

If the cylinder head, or thermostat housing are hotter than 200 F, then check the water pump inlet from the radiator, that will tell you the temperature drop across the radiator. If the thermostat is 180-190, then it might not be open, so the temp drop is irrelevant, as it's not overheating.