• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 600AJ Dual Fuel, gas problems

steevz

So I have a dual fuel jlg with a ford engine. Machine runs good on propane, but bogs and runs rough on gas.

Fuel seems okay, pressure is good. What else would affect running from propane to gas?

Would changing plugs and wires be worth while? Machine has 3000 hours. I've also swapped out most of the sensors, new o2s, ideas?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Is your engine fuel injected or carbureator? Do you use ethanol blend fuel or straight gasoline?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Ok. Here in the states they peddle ethanol/gas blend, nasty for these engines. If you're using straight gasoline, likely something else. I'm not really an expert on gas engine, actually hate the things, not much advice I can give you on this. I hope you get it sorted out. :)

steevz

Yes, I'm a diesel guy. Just trying to figure out what could be different from gas to propane besides fuel? Does propane ignite easier? Could it be the injectors?

Delmer

Propane is harder to ignite, and with no carb to plug up I'm scratching my head. I'd burn up the old fuel, and add a half tank of fresh no ethanol gas with the snake oil of your choice, then run it like a rental. Unless you use this regularly on gas and this problem just developed?

steevz

It's been mostly used on propane, the gas problem has been going on since we got it from auction. Maybe run it out of fuel and add seafoam and fresh fuel. In Canada the ethanol blends are only up to 10% in all of the fuel I think. Is that what your talking about?

Delmer

Exactly what I was thinking. We can get ethanol free only in Premium, but it's worth it if something is going to be sitting around. The ethanol absorbs more water out of the air than gas, and the water ethanol mix is especially bad for small engines.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
In Canada the ethanol blends are only up to 10% in all of the fuel I think. Is that what your talking about?

Yes, even a 10% blend is nasty nasty nasty on small engine that is not used pretty much daily. Like Delmer stated, the alcohol absorbs water from the air, and I don't know for certain, but I think the sugar in the alcohol does something as well. If you use ethanol gas blend, you need to use a stabilizer additive. Perhaps draining the fuel, adding fresh gas, and installing new injectors will sort it out if the Sea Foam doesn't do the trick, but again, I despise gas engines because there's so damn many things that can make them unhappy.