• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40HA will not start

BaldwinFarm

Hello, I'm hoping someone can give me some pointers as to why my JLG 40HA will not start.

I've used it the past 7 days with no problems whatsoever-- killed it yesterday normally at end of day, but would not start today. Cranks normal and turns over normal but will not fire. Originally sounded like it was not getting fuel. I checked fuel at the main fuel filter via the bleeder valve-- fuel is present and pumps normal. Checked fuel at cylinder feeds-- fuel is present there as well at both cylinder feeds.

I don't know much about the engine itself, except that it's a 2 cylinder, diesel, Deutz, air-cooled, 2-wheel drive.

I am beginning to wonder if there is some electrical issue preventing the engine from firing. I've actuated all switches on the platform to see if one was stuck to no avail. Not sure if there is a fail-safe somewhere that can keep the engine from firing?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

stone7

I don't think there is any kind of electrical issue that will prevent a diesel from starting.
But, I could be wrong, I'm not much of a mechanic. I've just had a lot of things happen
to me.

I have a trencher with this Deutz engine and it always starts, and it runs with the key off.

Diesels need air, fuel, and compression.

I would check the air cleaner and fuel cap for blockage. This is air.

Then I'd prime or re-prime the fuel system, and keep priming it.
This is probably what's wrong. Unless you've blown something and
lost compression. But I bet it would run on one cylinder or atleast fire.

It's possible you have contaminated fuel.

Some people even pressurize the fuel tank with an air hose to force
bleed the system.

This engine has a little button you can press to download it for cold
weather cranking, I'd find it and press it. It's behind the belts.
(at least I think that's what the button is for)

That's all I know.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm thinking that's an F2L1011F Deutz. Any number of things can cause a crank but no start on that engine. Fan/alternator belt broken or faulty belt shutdown switch, faulty oil pressure switch, broken timing belt, problem with ignition circuit or relays, or faulty shutdown solenoid, that is if you've verified lift pump is supplying fuel to the engine. Common problem is faulty shut down solenoid. I'd start by testing the harness going to shut down solenoid for voltage and ground while cranking engine. If power and ground is good, remove the solenoid, connect power and ground to their respective terminals on the solenoid harness and see if solenoid operates.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Remove the shut off solenoid, loosen the lines at the injectors or pump, verify you have fuel AT THE PUMPS while cranking. Does fuel squirt out the lines at the pumps or injectors? NO? reach into the hole you took the solenoid from and see if the rack moves with your finger. IF NOT the racks stuck in the sh/off position probably from a stuck pump.
IF YES about the fuel from the pump/inj. lines, does the engine spin abnormally fast? Broken timing belt. Easiest way to verify is to remove the valve cover, about 6, 10mm bolts and see if the valves are moving. Special tools are required for timing belt replacement. A "kit" can be bought on-line. Hope this helps.

BaldwinFarm

First, thanks to everyone and their quick responses. So, it ends up being the shut off solenoid issue as many of you have alluded to. When I have it physically disconnected from the engine block, the engine starts like a champ. Before I order the solenoid, I'd like to revisit the post from 'thepumpguysc'. When I have it disconnected, I imagine I should see the plunger actuate when the ignition is on (12V supplied). I do not see that happen. Secondly, I'd like to inspect the cavity where the solenoid fits to the engine block to see if anything is stuck. Problem is: although I can disconnect the solenoid, I am having difficulty completely removing it from the cavity. I guess it is connected to the manual shut off lever. In any event, even if I have to replace the solenoid, can anyone provide detailed instructions as to the removal/replacement of the solenoid? I did not want to forcefully 'yank' the solenoid from it's holding position and risk damaging something further. Thanks again!

thepumpguysc

Occupation
The solenoid has a "hook end" and should be tilted up to release it..if I remember correctly.
Installation is alittle tricky..if you dont hook it back right the engine races to full speed.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Reverse EVEYTHING I SAID..its tilt down and out..and when it goes back in, pull the manual shut off before installing solenoid.

BaldwinFarm

OK-- was able to remove the solenoid with a little coercion. So, this makes me wonder why the apparatus is there to begin with-- unsure of it's exact purpose. I'm puzzled because before this problem surfaced, the shutdown seemed a little odd to me. Even when I turned the key off and turned off the ignition toggle switch at the control panel, I still needed to employ the manual stop lever to shut down the engine completely. This doesn't seem right to me-- perhaps the faulty solenoid was causing this condition as well? I guess if it's working correctly, I should not need to employ the manual stop lever when I switch off the ignition and turn the key to the off position. In any event, thanks for all of the posts-- found the problem and will be operational shortly.

Msr

Very good thread. My jog diesel just shut down while I was up in the air about 20 ft. Something happened to the fuel shutoff solenoid. I had power coming to solenoid but it was not activating. Changed the solenoid and machine started fine. I found it odd that the machine shutdown while in use but it did. Could not have fixed without this post thanks.