• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40HA should I buy? Fixer-upper

razerface

well, I think I need one. I found a JLG 40HA 4x4 for $3150. It needs painted. So far, playing with it, I can't make it move, but we did get the boom to go up and down and extend and rotate. To get it to do that, we had to do wire wiggles. It looks like a few wires are unhooked.... It looks like it has a duetz air cooled diesel engine.

I wish it did not have all that stuff under the basket(mount). Kind of hard to get down close to a roof..,,,

My buddy, who is not as electrically challeged as I am, seems to think we can get it working with little or no money,,,saying most of it's problems are corrosion related on connections.

I would like to check the drives before buying. How to tell if the handle in the basket with the "board" on it is good? Is that expensive? :) That seems to be the only place to drive it from? Is there a hyd valve to hit to check the drive motors?

What should I be worrying about and checking before purchasing?

Last edited:

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
There are quit a few variations of the 40HA as far as valving/hydraulics go. On the style I'm familure with, there is no drive valve. The controller operates the hydraulic pump directly. Look at the pump, see if there are wiring going into it. If so, that's the case with yours also. I can't remember if there is a small lever on the pump to operate the drive or not......I'm thinking not.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All the 40HA machines I've seen use Sunstrand drive pumps with servo controlled by PQ controller and they don't have the test lever on the servo. Can't remember for certain, buy you might be able to remove the cover on the servo and manually activate the control shaft. Machine would still have brakes engaged though. That PQ controller can easily be between 300 to 350 dollars for replacement.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
how would I guess an approx date of this machine?

On many JLG machines, the mfg date is stamped on the ID plate. If it's not on that one, write down your serial number and call Eric at Best Line Equipment, 888-321-3217, he can tell you the year model by the s/n. Is there any way you can post some pics of the machine?

razerface

I will post pics when I can. I decided to buy it and we will go after it probly today or tomorrow.

I have 2 places I may need it about 20 miles apart. Won't move it very often, but I am selling the only trailer I own big enough to haul it around.

I am wondering, I saw a tow option in the parts manual. Is all I have to do to tow this,,,,reverse the locks on the wheels, unhook the steering cyl,,attach a towbar with a steering rod,,,and go?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I will post pics when I can. I decided to buy it and we will go after it probly today or tomorrow.

I have 2 places I may need it about 20 miles apart. Won't move it very often, but I am selling the only trailer I own big enough to haul it around.

I am wondering, I saw a tow option in the parts manual. Is all I have to do to tow this,,,,reverse the locks on the wheels, unhook the steering cyl,,attach a towbar with a steering rod,,,and go?

Well, simply speaking, yes. But, towing must still be done at a low speed, maybe 5 mph max, can't remember max speed for sure. Even though you disconnect the drive motors and brakes by reversing the hub locks, you'll still be turning the planetary gears and components in the drive hubs and they're just not built for high speeds.

razerface

well,, where to start? I bought it and got it home.

I'm not as brave as I thought. It sure seems higher when you are in the basket! :eek:

well alot of things need greased and cleaned. So far the main up and down does not work from basket, but works from ground. That would be wiring. I'm slow on electric, but we'll get that fixed sooner or later.

The big problem is still..it won't drive. Where do I start? Which valve is to the drive motors? I downloaded and printed the maint manual from JLG site,,but it isn't much help. for trouble shooting.

I think maybe someone changed the control switch(lever to drive it) and board. From under the lid in the basket,,the switch looks like it is not original by the bolt holes and cutout. The # on the board is HC3000 rev A . Another # is SC-DS 13-05 UL#123067. Is one of these the p/n ?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, the maintenance manuals are ehhh. :tong

You need to download the parts manual, it will do you more good than maintenance.

The drive isn't controlled by a valve like other machine functions. Basically what you have is the engine, and bolted to the back of engine is the Sunstrand bi-directional pump for the drive. Bolted to the back of the drive pump is the work equipment for all other machine functions. The drive contoller at the platform gives electrical input directly to the servo on the drive pump, no valves. The contoller should be a PQ controller, kind of a black box looking thing with the lever offset to one side.

I really need to know more about the machine. Does it have toggle switches that control boom functions at platform, or does it have controllers for boom up/dwn and boom swing? Or does it have levers to control boom functions at platform, that being hydraulic controls. What engine does it have? 2wd or 4wd? Sounds like you've got some work to do to the machine and this info helps when giving you tips. :)

razerface

It has toggle switches on platform, except the one controller that should run the drive motors. It is 4x4 with the deutz engine.

I am on my way after the parts manual right now!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It has toggle switches on platform, except the one controller that should run the drive motors. It is 4x4 with the deutz engine.

I am on my way after the parts manual right now!

Hmm, not a bad machine. :)

Would be better with proportional controls for boom and swing, but hey, still a nice machine.

Ok, really need to know what kind of controller they got on the drive control at platform. It should be a PQ controller, should look similar to the one in this link, http://www.pqcontrols.com/m120.php

razerface

Ok, really need to know what kind of controller they got on the drive control at platform. It should be a PQ controller, should look similar to the one in this link,
yep, very similar. The lever goes to a gear,, which turns a pot,, which is hooked to a circuit board. Is there a way to check this board? It looks like it has been worked on already. The handle has Hindles name on it.

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You mean Hindley Electronics? They're in Bowling Green Ohio, that's the place I get controller parts from. It sounds like your describing a PQ controller, there's no way you can test that unit because it works on a Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) output. It really sucks that you have toggle switch controls for other boom functions instead of proportional controls at platform, otherwise, you could test drive using other controllers. :Banghead Since you only have the one PQ controller for drive, one thing you could do is send the unit back to Hindley and have them test it. It doesn't cost much to have the unit tested and you would then know if the controller is at fault or not. You don't have a lot of choices if you don't know the history of the machine (and you wouldn't if you just purchased it) and it only has the one PQ proportional controller.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
A couple of pics for you razerface.

A PQ controller

JLG drive 003_640x480.jpg

This is a pump arraingment from a 33RTS scissor lift, should be similar to your setup.

JLG drive 001 REV_640x480.JPG

Harness connector for the pump servo. The brown wires are ground wires. The blue and orange wires come directly from the PQ controller.

JLG drive 002_640x480.jpg

barklee

Does it have more than one PQ controller? If so you could switch the control out with the other one to eliminate things and at least see if thats the problem. I have a used controller that (i think) works, send me a UPS label and you can have it if you find you need it.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nope, got bang controls for boom functions Barklee, just one PQ controller for drive. :)