• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JLG 40H steering problems

Swanky1

I recently acquired a 1997 JLG 40H boom lift with a Deutz diesel engine. I need some help troubleshooting a steering issue.

The lift sometimes will not turn to the right, which is a problem because when you are driving it and you hit the toggle switch right the lift stops and just about throws you out of the basket. Other times it works fine. I have replaced the toggle switch but it did not fix it.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

OFF

Occupation
HD Mechanic
Welcome Swanky1. Sounds like you have a problem with your right steer alright. I'm thinking you must have a short to ground somewhere in that steer circuit which is causing a huge voltage drop that's shutting everything down on you. 40H manuals are still downloadable from the JLG website. Do you have one yet? If not, you should, it would help. Connect your volt meter to the ignition terminal in basket and watch the voltage reading as you operate the machine. See if the voltage drops off drastically when the steering doesn't work. If it does drop, start looking for a bare wire. Look anywhere there is movement. Inside the cable tray is a good place to start looking.

christophergayl

Welcome Swanky1. Sounds like you have a problem with your right steer alright. I'm thinking you must have a short to ground somewhere in that steer circuit which is causing a huge voltage drop that's shutting everything down on you. 40H manuals are still downloadable from the JLG website. Do you have one yet? If not, you should, it would help. Connect your volt meter to the ignition terminal in basket and watch the voltage reading as you operate the machine. See if the voltage drops off drastically when the steering doesn't work. If it does drop, start looking for a bare wire. Look anywhere there is movement. Inside the cable tray is a good place to start looking.

I agreed with you.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Real Estate Companies

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF Swanky1. :drinkup

I agree with OFF, sounds like a short to ground, and I'd do the same, connect a voltmeter to the ignition circuit and watch the meter. An analog meter would work better than a digital meter for this, even an automotive volt gauge. If it has a short to ground you'll see that meter drop to zero almost immediately as opposed to a digital meter scrolling and trying to figure out exactly what degree of zero it is.