• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jlg 40h no basket functions

TOOLMAN1010

All functions other than emergency stop and foot dead man quit working from basket??? All ground functions still work 98 jlg 40h ser number 0300032662 help

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Welcome to HEF toolman1010. :drinkup

It sounds like you have some electrical testing to do. But I'm curious, you stated the only things that work at the platform is the E stop and the dead man switch (foot switch). How did you determine the foot switch is working proper since that switch sends power to pretty much all the platform controls that you stated aren't working? Did you actually test that the foot switch is sending power to terminals 35 through 39 on the terminal strip when foot switch is depressed?

TOOLMAN1010

Yes i did test 35-39 and they power up also the yellow power wires that run to the proportion joy sticks and the toggles also have power. I did notice tonight after a comment on another 45 ha forum that the foot switch should have both switches engage at the same time in one click and on mine you hear 2 distinct clicks one after another?? Also i forgot the machine will start from the basket???

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Well, I kind of puzzled at the moment. Assuming the wiring on the machine is in decent condition and doesn't look like a bird nest, wires are going to their proper terminals, then I'm not sure just yet what's going on. If when you depress the foot switch, and it sends power to terminals 35-39, then the yellow wires that leave those terminals go to their respective control, and have power, I'm puzzled why nothing works. No drive, no swing, no boom lift, even the telescope, basket tilt and basket rotate which are on toggles. I've never seen a JLG loose all these functions when they have power. It's not unusual to loose one or two functions from a problem with the cable going down the boom, but all of them? Have you checked that 16/30 cable good?

Yes, the foot switch has two microswitches in it. They perform two functions, 1) start circuit enable/lockout, and 2) power up the function controls in the platform. The starter function you can only operate the starter with the foot switch up, if it's depressed it locks out the start circuit, that way when you have the foot switch depressed operating functions you can't accidentally engage the starter by pressing the start button with engine running. It sounds like your foot switch is working properly from what you've described, even though the two switches aren't in perfect sync with each other. It's desirable that they are, but not imperative as long as it's working properly.

TOOLMAN1010

I know everything just quit as i was using it...could the ground/ platform switch down below or the dump valve figure in.. I also dont get voltage on #23 in the baskit

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
could the ground/ platform switch down below or the dump valve figure in..

I haven't refreshed my memory enough on the 40H diagrams to say for certain, but things work fine from the lower controls. I'd have to study things to see how the select relays in the lower controls come into play here. But I think we have to confirm things are proper at the platform first. Make sure the ground connection where all the brown wires in the platform go is good, connect your test light to that terminal to check voltage in the platform to make sure that ground is working proper. We'll work with the proportional controls later, first let's get the bang bang functions (toggle switches) working.

You said you don't have power on #23, that's the bang bang dump valve. There should be a red/orange wire connected to #23 that comes from the toggle functions. When you operate on of those toggles, it powers up that red/orn wire at #23 to power up the bang bang dump valve. You're saying you don't have that? Take a jumper wire connected to one of the power terminals 35-39 and connect it to #23, now work one of the toggle functions and see if it works. Heck, if it does, check all of the toggle functions.

ToddOwen

Occupation
railing installer
I also am having foot pedal issues. With the pedal depressed I only get steering and drive control, but the engine does not idle up. I can hear a clicking noise coming from the control panel when depressing pedal. This was an intermittent problem where if I repeatedly depressed and released the pedal I would sooner or later get it to work properly. Now I can't get it working properly at all. Ground controls still work consistently. The machine is 93 jlg 40ha with hydro controls. Any ideas where to start?