• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD700H opinions wanted

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
At the landfill we are looking to upgrade our trusty old D5B. JD brought out a 700 with 8000 hours on the clock and new rails. It had a scarifier on it at one time. and a pin on rake one time. It looks well cared for. Ive run it the last 2 work days. About 45 minutes till closhing time the Former JD salesman and now Cat man and is boss showed up. Wanting to know why we had a JD there.
Then the conversation went to I wouldnt buy a 700 with 8000 hours on it.

I like the 700 so far. We rented a year old D5K at the first of the year and I wasnt impressed with it. Im a Cat man but I didnt like the the 5K. THe filters stopped up every 5 minutes, and Cat wanted 4200 to install a precleaner. And in long pushes it the engine and transmission hydraulics over heated.

I did corner the salesman, I dsaid 3 years ago you tried to sell us a 700 H and crap talked Cat, now its the other way around lol.

JD wants 63000 for the 700H with cab and heat and air. Its a nice machine

deerefan

Occupation
operator
We've had nothin but good luck with ours, although it doesent have anywere close to that many hours on it. Imo it has the most power in its class, I think that's one of deeres best runnin motors in it, only complaint I have is the fuel tank could be a lil bit bigger, overall awesome machine, imo ovecourse

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
It seems to be a good machine, Im not a finish man lol. well i can do a little, never get to do much of it just finishing a few things in the landfill with the old
D5B. It took a while Friday to get used to the 700h's blade speed lol. I got to work some clay today and had a blast getting used to the blade. Iwished it had one feature a travel deceleraote like the 5k had.

I m little worried about the hydrostats, Ive never spent alot of time on them other than loaders. I worried myself to death listening for noises. Right now 63k is a ton for us to send now. We thought of having the D5B gone through but that still leaves us with one dozer.

deerefan

Occupation
operator
Yea its def. One of the easiest machines to finish with, idk about the decl since I barely ever use it but I do know deeres dozers are some of the loudest, but we were in the market for asimilar. similar sized machine, tried the 6keasiest out and it couldn't come close to the 700's power, so we ended up gettin a 700j and we couldn't be happier with em. Bossman said as soon as they bring the K series to that sized machine wull be gettin one. Its def nice to run nice equipment I can tell u that

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
We demoed the 6K and the 700J. The 700J was by far the better machine but the 6K was cheaper and being a gov entity we bought the 6k.....big big mistake. The K overheats and has had one problem after another, this thing throws more codes than Randy Johnson throws pitches.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
The 6k was cheaper!?! when we demoed it it was like 12 g's more, huh? guess there not sellin to many

This was a few years ago just as the K was hitting the market. I think the K was 147 and the J was 152, if memory serves.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
THe 5k was muck lighter than the 5B we use. We just run a small private rubbish landfill with about 40 to 60 40 yrd loads. THe salesman told us it would hold up. Rough ride with the rigid frame would find a 4by4 block would rock your tail.

We just push off the rubbish with the dozer now to spread for the 518 compactors and also the respreading of comacted rubbish to make it denser.

I lik the old 5B, grew up on it. But I like the 6 way blade and Cab o nthe 700. I wasnt near as tired today as I usually am on the 5. We also like having a backup machine we already have 2 scrapers and 2 compactors 2 utility tractors and 3 trucks.

D&GExcavating

We have a 700H and 2 700J's and they are great. the only thing we had to do was limit the reverse gear selections, and the rails last much longer now. They have a lot of pushing power and they are pretty easy to jump in and run. I love the smooth hydraulics on the 700's and so do our operators.

buckfever

We have almost all deere equipment and stand by them. That said i'v talked to our machanic who knows a lot about dozers. He said if you are looking for a hydro drive dozer deeres the way to go but if you are just looking for a hard core 12 hour a day pushing machine cat builds a simple but strong and reliable dozer.

hvy 1ton

Can't help but think that is about 2,000 hours too many for 63K. Yellow Deere dealer was selling a 6K hour 700H LPG with forestry package for mid 60's this summer when i went by for parts. Made me want to sell everything i own and some stuff i don't. 700's are awesome, they will outperform everything in their class. I say get oil analysis and work on the salesman if it comes back clean.