• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD644B steering

steed6557

Have a 644b that when cold will steer ok, but when hot it will not steer to the left. Right cylinder is reading 134 front and 134 rear of cylinder, left cylinder is reading rear 134 and front 104 degrees when measured with Lazer thermo gun. Seals on piston leaking by is my first thought but lucky me have never worked on such an old system. Any help greatly appreciated.

crewchief888

Have a 644b that when cold will steer ok, but when hot it will not steer to the left. Right cylinder is reading 134 front and 134 rear of cylinder, left cylinder is reading rear 134 and front 104 degrees when measured with Lazer thermo gun. Seals on piston leaking by is my first thought but lucky me have never worked on such an old system. Any help greatly appreciated.

sounds like you have a bad cylinder piston packing...

:drinkup

crewchief888

i used to work on a LOT of old loaders, it's been 18 years tho...

probably best to check both cylinders, and make sure the center pins aint real loose.

a lot of steering problems are actually pin problems...

may want to check steering pump pressures as well.

:drinkup