• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jd310d questions

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
No we aren't keepin you busy... its all in house for us. We fix our own stuff and when it comes to the 710's they just get run till they die, and then their fixed just enough to limp on a little longer in their sad little lives.

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
No we aren't keepin you busy... its all in house for us. We fix our own stuff and when it comes to the 710's they just get run till they die, and then their fixed just enough to limp on a little longer in their sad little lives.

Backhoe killer.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Ok guys... Here goes. Our 710D on site is a 2000 model. The swing drifts to the left constantly, they know the problem but no one is interested in fixing it. The brakes chatter, I dont think the oil needs to be replaced due to the fact its on a constant replacement program.... one drip at a time and drips are quite frequent with this beast. The reverser is well safe to say... &*%^$# beyond belief. The gears in the front axle are ^&*#^$ as well, so they pulled the front driveshaft. The loader works ok except that it dumps super slow. The powershift tranny is also on the way out, sometimes you shift and it slips into the next gear, and sometimes it goes in like a ton of bricks and you can do a pretty awesome wheely from 2nd to 3rd since the operator doesnt let off the throttle when he shifts it.

And then the pride and joy of the machine, the E-hoe........ The cylinder leaks which then causes the stick to fill with oil, so if you extend the stick and have the boom up... you get a lovely bath of rainwater/hydraulic oil :drinkup So the grand plan to fix this was not to pull the E hoe and fix the cylinder, they unhooked the lines and welded a piece of angle iron to the E hot and then welded it to the actual stick. The other day the weld broke while my operator was bookin it across site, the hoe slid all the way down, hoe pack caught the ground, ripped the lines off the hoe pack and it looks like the bucket cylinder has a little wow in it now. I could go on trust me, but I digress for the night.

Anyone else feelin better about their backhoes now?

Why didn't someone just pin the dipper so the E hoe couldn't operate?Welding wasn't needed at all.I used to get that same lovely water/oil bath on my 510B when I momentarily forgot what might happen.Not fun at all,especially if you did it first thing in the morn.

Burnout

Occupation
We can't pin the dippers on the D's we have. The catch for it is at the bottom of the stick, and with a couple short pushes with the E hoe, you can bend the lock so it will never lock again, so thats where they welded the angle iron to the stick.

Yesterday I got my crews normal 710 back, its a standard stick, and its a 2000 model, and only has 13 000hrs on her. Not a bad machine as long as you like the smell of hydraulic oil, and the 4wd doesn't work seeing as it still has no front driveshaft. Now it has a new problem though, the bolt that holds the pin and bushing for the stick cylinder on the housing end is walking out of the boom, so the guy running it has come up with a great solution. Instead of going to the trailer and grabbing a hammer, he shakes the stick violently whilst hitting it with a 1" open end wrench to get it back in. And don't get me started about why he backs up to a manhole to pack it dead center, then puts the hoe pack on the ground, lifts the backhoe 3ft in the air just to swing himself over a couple feet to pack. And people wonder why we go through a set of rubbers in 2 weeks.

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Ok guys... Here goes. Our 710D on site is a 2000 model. The swing drifts to the left constantly, they know the problem but no one is interested in fixing it. The brakes chatter, I dont think the oil needs to be replaced due to the fact its on a constant replacement program.... one drip at a time and drips are quite frequent with this beast. The reverser is well safe to say... &*%^$# beyond belief. The gears in the front axle are ^&*#^$ as well, so they pulled the front driveshaft. The loader works ok except that it dumps super slow. The powershift tranny is also on the way out, sometimes you shift and it slips into the next gear, and sometimes it goes in like a ton of bricks and you can do a pretty awesome wheely from 2nd to 3rd since the operator doesnt let off the throttle when he shifts it.

Dont use such language unless you know what it means! If such a machine's operator comes to you one day and says "Baas, thee masheen, she is brokenn":eek:ops, no problem, the machine is repairable with some effort, but if such an operator comes to you one day and says, "S$^%! The masheen, she is #@$&*#$!", then the machine is beyond help:crying. A miracle wouldn't even save it. sorry for the vivid discription, but thats what happens in Africa.

Last edited:

ncbschzzt

Occupation
john deere/hitachi field tech
Dont use such language unless you know what it means! If such a machine's operator comes to you one day and says "Baas, thee masheen, she is brokenn":eek:ops, no problem, the machine is repairable with some effort, but if such an operator comes to you one day and says, "S$^%! The masheen, she is #@$&*#$!", then the machine is beyond help:crying. A miracle wouldn't even save it. sorry for the vivid discription, but thats what happens in Africa.

lol

Burnout

Occupation
Trust me.... such machines have warranted such language. Our usual 710 has been back on site for a couple days now, it came leaking oil from underneath naturally. I climbed in it yesterday because I didn't feel like waiting 45 minutes for the all star operator to change it over to the bucket. He went digging at 7am, I drove over with the 973 about 7:15 to see the progress and oil is puking out of the boom at the stick joint. I asked him whats goin on, he said a little leak, so he kept running it and I drove away shaking my head. Finally he came back about a half hour later saying the hydraulic pump is making funny noises. He took 2 pales of oil, filled it up and ran it for another 20 minutes or so. He then drove around puking oil out for another 2hrs.

The mechanic showed up around 10:30 or so, he diagnosed it as the soft line where the hard line for the bucket cylinder comes up inside the boom and then joins to another hard line in the stick, we ordered one and had it running by 1:00. I went put the hoe pack back on, hoe packed for an hour since he was so far behind, and then returned the machine to him with a long list of things that needed packing. He drove over to me about 45 minutes later "dude I blew another hose" I started lookin around the hoe, its comin out almost the same place as before.

I like the 710's, anytime I have had to run one for a few days I have never had a problem with them. Yeah they drip, yeah they smell funny, but I have never blown a hose. This character has had 4 different 710's in the 2 seasons he has worked for us and never gone more than 2 days without at least 2 or 3hrs downtime. Last year he had to park one because the fuel tank was leaking, so they sent out a welder to repair it. He climbed under the machine and showed me at least 10 large cracks in the frame that needed attention.

chuck jacobs

Occupation
structural ironworker
thanks for the info guys guess its time to find out why my 310c will go in reverse but not foreward. will change fluids and filters, and check out the solenoid before splitting and changing the reverser

mkoepf

Chuck what did you end up doing to fix your problem? I have a 310D doing the same thing. Reverse is fine, forward has 1st with little power and barely 2nd and no 3rd or 4th.

lobo

I have a 1992 310d. Brakes chatter and when going down steep grade it stops alot better if I put her in neutral. Changed transaxle fluid last summer. Still chatters. Are brakes hard to change on this hoe. Thanks.

Pecord Exc

They chatter, dont worry about it and dont put it in neutral to stop, not a good thing ever. But the chatter is perfectly normal.

timber71

I have a 310d that would go forward sometimes but would back up. I had to replace the reverser. When mine went there was metal so I change the torque converter too.

I am looking for a method to level my loader bucket as the right side is about 2 inches lower then the right. Not sure what happened. Do you think it could be bent back?

Pecord Exc

um that doesnt sound good, might want to check your boom for cracks. also chech the round piece in by the bucket that ties them both together, sounds like a serious issue, did you buy it like this?

timber71

310d - uneven bucket

I think it was straight when i bought it. I mainly noticed it plowing snow in the float position because it would pull to the right. I can see that it is not level but I can't see why.

Thanks.

This is a cool forum

Pecord Exc

might want to start a new thread with pics, I know i would like to see pics. Sounds like someone hit a curb or a manhole with the machine to bend the front bucket. definitely picture worthy!

BulldozerRay

Occupation
Equipment Operator/Driller
Good Advice

If it has sat that long I would think filters, engine oil, ect. should be changed before running it because of moisture buildup and whatnot. Did you properly check the trans fluid, while running, or before startup, depends on machine.

Good advice for sure...

davidd

Occupation
www.paulowniatrees.com
The comment was made "do not put the reverser in neutral and then use the brakes" What does this cause? My 310c has some brake chatter and I often shift to N. prior to braking. I see or feel no ill effect. Actually less chatter.
Please explain
Thanks,
David d.

concrete_man

Just wondering if anybody knows how to disconnect that lovely loud warning beeper that comes on when you reverse a John Deere 310D hoe?

joeeye59

Occupation
A Man with a Backhoe
Just wondering if anybody knows how to disconnect that lovely loud warning beeper that comes on when you reverse a John Deere 310D hoe?

Try this idea what I did rather than disconnecting it. you never know when you would have needed it...

May I suggest putting black electrical tape across the top part of where the sound comes out from on that alarm box to make it a little more quite, but still able to be heard. (clean the plastic so the tape sticks) Set how loud accordingly for how loud your work area is so it can still be heard and it won't make you go deaf after an hour of like back bladeing.... I guess they are loud like that for when on that very large very loud construction site....

It would have been nice if JD have made a variable sound level switch, so the driver can set it accordingly to the job site, who knows, maybe at certain job sites some of the operators could have used the back-up alarm even louder ??? so by having a veritable sound level switch may have avoided many others from disconnecting their back-up alarms ? :)