• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD radial piston pump in open center sytem?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
oh ya, the radial pumps usually need a charge pump to supply oil to the inlet. I don't remember how much pressure but I can look in one of my manuals if you need to know- probably about 30 psi

On 310/410 Backhoes that used the radial piston pump the charge pressure spec is 30-50 psi minimum depending on model (all levers in neutral). I remember we would lift the loader arms at idle while watching charge pressure and so long as it remained positive you were good. I think a charge pump would be necessary. I don't think gravity would be enough.

Last edited:

crane operator

One other function I plan to use the hydraulic system for is to have a set of remote couplers to run hay balers, plow lifts, and a tractor wrecker trailer,

So are you going to run ATF, universal tractor, or AW 32/ 46? I don't know that it matters much what you run, but I don't know that I would want my crane tied into everyone else's hydro systems from a cross contamination standpoint. I don't know that I would get real hung up on the 2750 number either. It would probably work just fine at 2500. Remember the 6k number is straight up, and not very far out. Realistically your going to be able to handle 2-3,000lbs max. My 4k will not load a 3406 cat into the pickup bed by itself.

wrwtexan

Occupation
Indy Farm Wrench, heavy land clearing, rancher
Crane op; good point on the oil. Likely will run a good AW32 universal HY Tran for that aspect. Never having had a crane like this, I'm just going by Liftmoore's specs on it for PSI requirement.

mg; I'll be going by the salvage stripper and verify, but having pulled the engine for another machine, it was straight from tank to pump as I remember.

HATCHEQUIP

I think far left dash rocker switch, maybe 2 one on off other accel. decal. Some of the boom truck tie into these circuits for throttle.

Volvomad

Gravity will be no problem if you have a desent supply hose . All the JD tractors had a gallon reservoir 2 feet above the pump to briefly top up on the half capacity charge pump . You are not going to have the pto running 10 hours a day so if the pump is in good nick even with it in constant pumping it should last years . They can and do give trouble in tractors ,but not a lot imop . The are great to supply high pressure young or old,hot or cold ,running fast or slow .

wrwtexan

Occupation
I called Vander Haag's in Kansas City today and was told new was about all they had (not much effort to say otherwise) so I'm going ahead with the JD pump plan. I'll post info and if I can figure out how, pics also.
Thanks to all for valuable opinions and info!

typ4

Occupation
Equipment mechanic for a small company.
We have a 544C loader with 15k plus hours on it wityh the original pump, I love them.lol
They will gravity feed just make sure the top vent line goes to top of tank if it has one. And the inlet doesnt have a check valve, being already gravity feed it likely doesnt.

wrwtexan

Occupation
20190309_163022.jpg

The radial pump works perfectly for this crane! I have an 8G tank mounted in the bed directly above the pump for gravity feed and outflow is going through a selector valve to outriggers valve or crane system. My truck does have cruise/idle set on the steering wheel but so far it has performed great at idle. I would highly recommend this setup if anyone else needs a low RPM high pressure hydraulic system.
This crane has become our favorite tool on my new service truck. With the hydraulic outriggers, it is steady as a rock and the pedestal it is mounted on is secured into the 4x6 box beam frame for a 60' reach bucket lift that had been in the bed.
Thanks to all for the idea confirmation!

Attachments

• 20190404_121145.jpg
    20190404_121145.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Welder Dave

I sure wouldn't trust that bracket based on the weld I can see. Would be worth having an experienced welder grind it out and weld it properly. You wouldn't want it falling off.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Jd piston pump needs charge pressure...in tractor charge pressure is supplied by transmission pump...charge pressure is maintained by the priority valve that supplies oil to steering and brakes first then charge to piston pump...also make sure final rpm of pump drive does not exceed 2100 rpm.