• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD,Case & Ford backhoes

milkie62

I am still kicking tires on a backhoe before I retire. My main work will be driveway work, 2 septics systems on my property for when my kids start building, food plotting (digging stumps), and overall wood road maintenance. It will not be used in the winter except to maybe hang a deer from LOL. So I do not think I need 4wd which would save me some cash. I also do not need a glassed in cab, as a matter of fact an open cab would be better in the woods. Does 4wd add much weight to the front end in helping going up a hill to help keep it down ? I would also like to build a small koi pond and either a mechanical or hydro thumb would help with landscaping with big stone. In general is any of the above machines more friendly when it comes to maintenance such as pin and bushing replacement ? And how about the rear pivoting servicing for the hoe ? I do have a Cat mechanic friend that I would be taking along on any machines I look at locally or within driving distance even if it requires and overnite for the return trip. Thought about heading a little south since I thought there would be less rust to deal with on an older machine. 555,655,580 and 310 I guess are the models I would be looking at. Thanks for an input in advance.

hammertime

4WD is a huge help in muddy soft ground, also when the bucket is full enough to take weight off the rear wheels, say backing out of a ditch with a full bucket. Those front wheels are going to get you moving backwards cause the rear are no help, especially in loose sand, gravel. Diff lock just gets you dug in deeper...
Also loading the loader in a pile 4wd is a great assist. It adds some weight, but most backhoes 2wd/4wd have a 1000lbs counterweight on the front. thats what really anchors it down

Case probably the cheaper to maintain out of the 3, parts availability is great tons of info on this site. Still should figure on purchasing a service manual.

Pins and bushings all depend on level of maintenance done on the machine. All 3 brands are pretty similar. extandahoe/ Boom designs differ with each manufacturer. I personally don't mind the Case over center hoe design. Some hate that it seems like its going to hit the face when locking it. Thumb is no factor, all three should handle just fine

I really like the Cat420 and deere 310 as well. But they seem to be too pricey right now at least in the Southwest. parts are pricey as well. The cats are super quiet to me compared to the loud cummins in the Case.

My personal winner without breaking bank: late 90's early 2000's Case 580/590 4wd extendahoe 4:1 bucket. The works

hammertime

The 2wd tends to be around that price for the case's around here. The Choice between 2wd/4wd is something you will have to weigh out with yourself. Most construction work out here on footings/pads/sewer seem to be ok with 2wd. tough terrain and bad/muddy soil lots of loader work seem to warrant the need for 4wd. just some stuff to think about

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
I have a 4WD now. Have had both. If you plan on much loader work, get the 4WD. If you are mainly digging, you can get by without it. That 1+ yard bucket full of wet material just sinks the front tires. If they are powered, you've got a fighting chance like hammertime said.