• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 772D Moldboard Frog Repair--Careless Operators!!

rshackleford

We have a JD 772D that doesn't get used very much. The operator went out today and ground down the cutting edge so half of half the bolts are gone. The moldboard doesn't have much wear and tear on it.

Is there a way to just repair the frog or are we looking at a new moldboard?

Thanks all.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . rshackleford. Anything is repairable.

It just depends on what it costs in any given situation and how you value time.

Very difficult for folks here to give an opinion on your blade with out pictures.

Cheers.

rshackleford

I am sorry I don't have any pictures.

The half of the bolts holes in the frog are worn half way through. I wish I could describe it better.

rshackleford

This is what it looks like now. How to fix?

jevuvy7e.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

mitch504

Dang, if the reptiles in your part of country are so bad you can tear up a moldboard just hitting a frog, I'm not going there!!!

I'm very sorry. I just couldn't resist. I've got it out of my system, now.

I would check with Deere and see If you can buy just the frog, it could be cut out and welded in. You could have a job shop make one if Deere doesn't offer it. I would compare the price of doing that to a new or used moldboard.

Sorry again, :D
Mitch

ovrszd

I agree with Mitch.

I'm afraid if I did that my Township Board would fire me. And it would be justified. I consider that laziness rather than carelessness. :eek:

Good luck with the repair. Post results and pics. I'm curious how this is fixed.

d9gdon

He had to have run it without a cutting edge bolted on to the moldboard to do that much damage, right?

AndrewC

Im sure a welder can install a new frog but as far as I can tell deere doesn't have one listed as a replacement. However they state that the moldboard is interchangeable with cat moldboards, but they don't say which ones. Perhaps with a little more digging you can find some wrecker cats or deeres that would work for you.

Silveroddo

It should be repairable, theres a hundred posts and pictures out there about it.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...me-advise-on-changing-a-frog-on-the-moldboard
I'm not enough of a fabricator to really be giving advice, but if it were my machine I'd be researching a little and getting the right kind of beveled stock steel, bolt up a worn out pair of cutting edges and mocking up/ removing material untill you had a piece you could add below the bolt holes. Then I'd get someone who can weld and burn it on, taking care to avoid warping it and re drill the holes as needed
Might not be the prettiest way but unless you can find a reasonably priced moldboard probably the most cost effective

Last edited:

Showpony

Try picture again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

rshackleford, weve had this happen a couple of times, too much snow, pressure to get things open again leads to this sort of damage. the best thing we have found is the cutting edge that was on your frog has a negative "print" of the missing halves of your bolt holes. You can a/ use this to make up an new peace from bisalloy 360 or similar and weld it to your frog with low hydrogen rods, or b/ if your old cutting edge is carbon steel and is curved you can repair the frog with this, weld into place, using a new edge as steady to prevent pulling, use a peaning hammer to the max and cool as slow as possible.
remove the new edge and weld the front side and trim to suit.