• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 744K brake pedal travel

AJL

Occupation
heavy diesel mechanic
Hi all
I have a John Deere 744K 1DW744KXAEC659543,
The brake pedal has a lot of travel before the brakes are operated, is there an adjustment procedure for brake pedal travel, the machine is up a mountain so I have had a chance to have a look myself yet
Thanks

heymccall

I don't recall any adjustment...
But, when a brake piston seal fails, the brake pressure leaks over into the main axle housing, overfilling the axle.
Have you verified that neither axle is overfilled?
Also, starting with H series, I had to add or spec axle coolers on my TC54H, 544Js, and 544K.
Without the coolers, the brakes would take excess pedal travel, and time, to apply when requested, after the first hour of running.
Is the pedal feel the same before reaching operating temperature?

AJL

Occupation
heavy diesel mechanic
T
I don't recall any adjustment...
But, when a brake piston seal fails, the brake pressure leaks over into the main axle housing, overfilling the axle.
Have you verified that neither axle is overfilled?
Also, starting with H series, I had to add or spec axle coolers on my TC54H, 544Js, and 544K.
Without the coolers, the brakes would take excess pedal travel, and time, to apply when requested, after the first hour of running.
Is the pedal feel the same before reaching operating temperature?
Thanks will verify diff levels when I see it, brakes do get worse with time, seems to have started after being on hire, Will changing the oil be beneficial?