• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 700J front idler

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
WIN_20170802_18_29_35_Pro.jpg I need to replace both front idlers on my 700J. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get the roll pin out of the idler axle. We got the assembly out of the track frame but can't get the double roll pin out of the brackets that hold the axle. tried, air hammer, big hammer, heating. those puppys are solid.
I am not sure why they both failed with less than 1000hr on new UC. Was installed before I bought it. Maybe they never WIN_20170802_18_29_51_Pro.jpg put oil in the new ones. Kind of strange that both sides went out at about the same time.

Last edited:

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
They usually come complete....do you have replacements yet? The last 10-12 I've done were complete so I didn't even have to fool with getting the idler itself free of the brackets.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
A couple I did were Berco and the last pair I did was Chinese brand of some sort. I think they all come complete anymore. Sure makes life easier!

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Thanks junkyard,

I wish I knew why they failed. Seems like a waste, the idlers are like new but the bushings are hammered.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
You're welcome. Strangely enough the last four I did were Deere...550 and 700. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. That does seem like a very short lifespan for them.

Welder Dave

What brand are they and are they covered by warranty? If you can find out who owned it before, might be able to get warranty.

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
IMG_0347.JPG IMG_0529.JPG Cheap steel ,replaced both idlers on a 650( under 2000) hrs ,replaced blade cutting edges on two 75 track hoes (under 1500 hrs). We hardly use the blade. Also put new wear bars on 75s bucket about(1000 hrs). Also put patches on 650 blade (3400 ) hrs

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
So my UC is extended life. and you cant mix and match standard VS extended life. So I ordered JD parts. The aftermarket guys I normally use said that's the way to go. The machine has 5500hrs on it. I bought it at 5100. The new UC was already on it slightly used. I talked to my JD Guy and he says its hard to get warranty 3rd party. good guys would bend it to work if they could. So its $2500 for the idler groups and my labor =$2501. That's ok. :D

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
shoot I forgot the average wage here is $6 per day and a meal. (kind of a joke between friends) So $2525.