• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 690 elc

Crash

My boss said he changed a fuel line, and now the engine is smoking bad, and he said it smelt like oil burning. Does anyone have an idea of what the problem is? Thanks CRASH

NCHeavyDiesel

No problem...just need to find out if it really is oil and how its getting in. Pull charge air hot side off turbo and make sure its not passing oil out of the shaft seal. Make sure no oil running out the exhaust.

Crash

I'm going into work now I will check, any help you can give me will be appreciated! Thanks crash
he replaced hydraulic hose going to the middle of the electronic throttle positioner. There was 2 gallons of oil missing from motor, and he has no muffler hooked up to exhaust system, also there was thick resin drops under the turbo, he was running the machine for a short time with no exhaust system and was going inside of the engine compartment. He also told me after I dropped the oil that the machine does not run quick, it's slow when Excavating. I'm thinking we have a turbo problem. Any help you can give me would really help, this is the first time I have worked on heavy equipment ,most of my diesel work has been on boats. Thank you.!!!!! Crash

Crash

From this description it sounds like a turbo issue. Any oil residue in the turbo piping?[/QUOT

I will check tomorrow, there was a gummy oil residue under tubo and around exhaust pipe, could he have caused the turbo failure, not having any exhaust hooked up? Plus it's just a straight pipe going out then up no muffler, I cut a angle on the end of the pipe today to keep rain water out.