• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 624G loader starter will not disengage!!

flyboyziel56

OK guy's I got a real good brain teaser for someone!!. Got a JD 624G with an electrical problem. we replaced the ignition switch with a new one and yes we wired it up the same way when it went back in. When you crank it up it won't disengage the started. both battery's are new and charged up. Thought it might be the wiring to the started, so I used a remote start switch @ the started and with the key switch off, hit the remote and still the same problem it will not disengage!!. Removed the started and took it to our local shop and saw them bench the unit on there equipment and they said there is nothing wrong with the starter???. the only thing left is to swap it out for another starter and see if the problem goes away!!. Any ideas????:beatsme And yes there is a start relay we replaced that's in line to the starter!!

All Jacked Up

I don't know for sure about JD, but my daewoo mega 200 has a starter controller as well as the relay. maybe check the controller as it may be malfunctioning, and double check for loose conections, grounds, etc.

Last edited:

bill onthehill

Bad spring on the bendix. Nick on the splines. If it did it using a remote switch with the key off it should rule out any relays.

flyboyziel56

That's kinda my response Bill!!, Don't think my problem is in the wiring. Monday I'm going to swap out the starter with a starter on a JD 544G which is next to the machine with another problem as well!!. (Won't go into gear ) But that's another day. Allan:D

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
ok well it takes voltage to tell the starter soloid to do its thing and after youve cranked engine you release key and it tells starter soloid youve did your job and no voltage to it....sounds like you got a wire that has voltage to it constant ...you only replaced key switch right not starter so key switch is bad or wrong one or wire has short to voltage or a wire is in wrong place ..pull wires from key switch test them with a test light see what has power all the time it shouldnt be but one ....gosh pics would help wishes i could see how they are wired

will_gurt

Charter Member
Occupation
operator in extended holding pattern
Where there any shims on the old starter? If so, not putting them in with the new unit could be a cause.

Pecord Exc

Check the wires on the starter solenoid to make sure they didnt ground out somewhere while messing with the ignition switch, just trace all the wires out from the starter and check their insulation. Had the same problem with my suburban.