• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 555G-- buy or not

wagspe208

I just ran across a 555G. It is an 89 by serial number. One track does not run. The UC is excellent-- 70% ish. It has not been run for a couple of years.

So, I went and looked at it today. No major leaks at cylinders, one minor leak. Oil is black, antifreeze is green, hyd. fluid is clean. It did not turn over, so I took the battery out of my truck. Throttle to 1/4 ish, and it cranked 6 times or so and ran for 5 seconds and shut off. Tried to restart, no go. Looked at tank, no cap on tank, so I quit trying. Obviously the tank needs draining, filter, etc. It also obvioulsy needs right side drive work.
He wants 4g. I offered him less. I know drive parts can be $$. But can it also be an easy fix? (meaning under 2g or so?)
Farm use. Maybe 100 hours a year.
What do I need to check?
Thanks
Steve

wagspe208

Oh, and it has to be worth 4g to part it out, doesn't it? (if it turns out to be more than I want to fix)
Wags

psmith

I'm a pretty new member here but in my research yes, it would be worth 4k in parts. However it could take a fairly long time to recoup your cost maybe even years till you find someone needing the parts you have. The water in the fuel sure makes sense for why it died so quickly but who knows on the right track.

My suggestion would be to call around to salvage yards and price every possible item and that is your worst case cost to fix. While you are talking to them you might be able to feel them out on parts demand for the 555g. That would give you an idea on how long it would take to part out.

Maybe some of the other pro's will weigh in with actual suggestions on your machine.

Deereman

Its well worth 4K. One final drive is 2-4K itself. For that kind of change I would spend the money on the final drive and fix it up(get it running). Thats a very good deal just to use for 100 hours a year. You never know you might pick up some side jobs to help recoup some of the cost. And gain some experience to boot. Sounds like if you do buy it you r on the right track to clean out the fuel tank. I would run it for about a good week then change filters and fluids. We are covered in 4/555g and track loaders in general here in the south. How many hours are on it wagspe208?

buckfever

we own a 555g in the same year. is yours a direct drive or a tc model? ours is a direct drive. these machines are great for grading and light land clearing. Try some of the equipment scrap yards. these machines were real popular and there has to be tons of donors out there. does the track roll at all when you move or is it locked up. if it rolls at all it may be a pressure line that broke inside the trany. had this happen once.

wagspe208

Screwed up deal.
So, here are the updates.
I am talking to Joe. Joe said 4g. I offered 3500 after I looked at it. Joe had his mechanic drain the tank and get the machine running. It runs fine, hydraulics work (bucket). He said it does not move at all now. He also said the shaft out of the pump is not turning. So, obviously it is good into the pump. No output explains no moving. It still could have one track working / not working. No one knows.
I told Joe I'd pay the 4g, I need a loader. Joe said... well, I have to clear it with Larry. Jeez, Is the fu***** thing for sale for your asking price or not? 6800 hours.
I will walk in there with 4g cash tomorrow or Thursday and show it to Larry. If it is for sale, I own it, if not screw them. And I will be back in the market.
A buddy of mine works for Erb Equipment (big John Deere industrial equipment dealer in the area). He said the 555g is his favorite piece to work on. Simple, reliable, etc. So I'd like to own it. But...is what it is.
I work on hyd. and electric equipemnt, just not big heavy stuff. I am pretty sure I can figure it out with some pointers.
Thanks
Wags

Deereman

Well maybe he will figure out what he wants to do. Things start to change when people see the money then you start walking away. The reason i ask for hours is cause the trannys tend to need attention between 5-10K hours. Easy to fix but just a little costly. Rather then that a fuel pump on a occasion. Pretty cheap. I love running these loader unless they are a hand puller. Also prefer a TC over a DD anyday. Let us know what comes of it!!

frogfarmer

555Gs are great machines and an up and running machine would easily sell for 3 times that price. Deereman is right I have seen several trans repairs in the 7500 hour range. Parts are easily available and the machine is small enough to manage easily. You could be looking at 10k in repairs but the machine should bring that kind of money if it looks decent. We have all been there and know the "Risk Factor" good luck. I bought a D8H for 10k hoping to get a great deal and ended up scrapping it for 9k well that is life.

wagspe208

Well, the plot thickens.
I went by today to throw the 4g cash down and see if the machine was for sale. Larry was not there. The guy in the office said Larry was not there. I said call him.... and showed him the cash.
Larry on the phone... "well we got it running" "it does not move" ... yea, I know. "what will you offer me?" Hell, the fu***** thing does not move. 4g is the offer. So, Larry says he thinks he can get it running, working, etc for 1500, so it is worth 8 to 10g. I said... well, if it is in good running/ working order I'd pay 8 to 10g. But it is not, and I won't. If he wants to take the risk of final drive problems besides the pump issue.. hell, risk and reward is his. If he wants to sell it, risk/ reward would be mine. So, I told him I'd stop back in in a week or so if I did not find something else.
Jesus... is it for sale or not? What a douche. How could I pay 8g for something that may take 1500 to fix.
So....
now what?
Wags

wagspe208

Oh, they had the floorboard out. The pump shaft/ yoke shwoed no signs of getting hot/ stripped yolk, etc. So, the shaft in the pump may be broke? Output shaft is not turning.
I assume it is a direct drive machine since it has engine, pump, drive shaft, trans.
Wags

psmith

Good grief, what a dufus. It does not sound like it is for sale to me. At the end of the day not much more can be done then make an offer and leave. Sounds like they are having second thoughts on unloading it as/is.

thebaz

I have been in similar situations myself, rarely works out well. Back and forward, back and forward, and like you say, is the thing for sale or not. It is funny how an owner considers something to suddenly be worth gold when they gave it no priority for the last few years and just let it waste away. My next door neighbor has an old land rover sitting in his front yard with a broken axle. He constantly gets offers on it but wont sell it. It has been there over 25 years. Maybe the mold has become precious to him.

wagspe208

As far as I am concerned the guy can shove it up his a**. Well, he sure can't drive it up there because it does not move. LOL
I am looking at a 955K now. Drove it today.
Wags