• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

jd 555a with problems buy or not

adhsue

I have located a 555a that I can purchase for basically scrap price. It has a head gasket blown (blowing compression out in front of # 1 cyl) It will start and run. The hydraulic seems to work fine for the little bit I ran it, but the transmission barely pulled, I pulled the dipstick, the oil is milky it has either had water or coolant in it. I would probably only use this machine 20 to 30 hours a year. I have read that the 555A has bad transmission problems and is very expensive to fix. Any chance I might get lucky, by changing fluid and having it work enough to get me by. There are some parts on it I can use on another machine that my brother owns, if I do scrap it out. Also, I have read, that possibly you can put a 450 Transmission in this machine. I work as an auto mechanic so I would be doing this work myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welder Dave

There were a couple really good JD mechanics on another forum I used to go on. The general consensus is to steer clear of a 555 with transmission problems. The milky fluid can't have helped any of the internals. Too much work trying to fit a 450 trans in and where do get a good 450 trans anyway? The machine must be well worn if it's close to scrap price. Look for something better. You'll save money in the long run.

lantraxco

The old triple nickel, especially the A model was great machine, well loved around my neck of the woods. I don't recall the transmissions were problematic if properly maintained and adjusted. They were pretty spendy when they did need going through, and I think many of the parts may well be obsolete now. What you're describing sounds like a parts machine to me.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
A is a dry clutch machine, supposed to be issues at that region of the machines, 555B was a wet clutch and more durable while the G series the cats meow, I would pass on this project.

lantraxco

Clutch? The triple nickels to my knowledge were all loaders with powershift transmissions and torque convertors? The 550A dozers were the same..... Yeah, the G series was fantastic compared to the older machines.

lantraxco

Perhaps. In my limited experience the dry steering clutches worked fine if you kept them adjusted and dry, and used the machine often. Knew one guy used to tie the levers back on his old dry clutch machine so the clutches wouldn't stick together from setting over the winter, he was a fair weather farmer.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Yes, dry steer clutches, and as noted they like to stick in the engaged condition thus the swap to wet in the B series. All of them I am aware of near to me have had problems with parts of late; A, B, even some G series, seems Deere is getting a little tired of stocking for the older machines.

lantraxco

Yeah, even mother CAT has discontinued truckloads of stuff.... around the turn of the century I was working for a CAT dealer, you could still get most wear parts and gaskets for machines built during WW2, even some earlier.... Ah well, this too shall pass....