• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 544H throttle pedal sticks

Coldfront

Occupation
Truck and equipment mechanic
Tough day so far. John Deere 544H front end loader the throttle pedal and the brake pedal on the right side both are sticky, I tried spraying down with penetrating oil but still no good. I took the floor mat out cleaned the floor took the shroud off the bottom front of cab and took the throttle linkage off, the pedal is sticky only at the pin that holds the pedal to the base, I can't get it to free up so I took the whole pedal assy out and tried hammer and punch the pin out, well I broke the side ear off the pedal where the pin goes through, new pedal assy from J.D. $230 now on to the next pedal the brake I'm assuming it's the same thing but I'm not sure how to get that pedal assy out there is a rod that goes accoss to the left side floor pedal, I gfuess I'll just start taking it apart and see what happens.

Coldfront

Occupation
I got the brake pedal freed up without taking it apart, something I should have tried in the first place with the throttle. I took the smallest torch I had and with the floor mat out I carefully heated the aluminum pedal around the pin, and also heated the pin ends on both sides and then soaked down again with penetrating oil and it freed up nice, almost started the rubber boot on fire where the rod from the pedal goes down through the floor. Now a trip to Deere for a $200+ throttle pedal assy.

Coldfront

Occupation
Update, I'm trying some JB weld epoxy on the pedal, I guess I will find out tomorrow if it will work, it needs 16 hours to cure, might save $200+

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
The steal pin usually swells in the plastic bushings on these pedals were the steal pin and aluminum meet .The propane torch work great for these .Had it happen to JCB loaders many times on winter snow contracts

Last edited:

bobin35

I use the penetrating oil from general motors in my 25 years of this kind of work i find it to be the best,take the throttle pedal to a experienced aluminum welder if jb dont hold

Coldfront

Occupation
The JB weld epoxy worked great its back in use, The main problem was underneath those nylon plastic bushings in the pedal base, I took the plastic bushings out and sanded the holes out good with emery cloth, put back together and the pin is nice and free now. Steel on aluminum is not good.

Steiny

KIMG4950.JPG There is a product called Alumiloy that can be used to fix aluminum. I had to drill out the pins on my pedal and the bit walked some. You heat the pedal with a propane torch and then touch the alumiloy rod to it; it will melt and fill in the damage. Melting temp is just above 700 F. If you get the part too hot the Alumiloy doesn't stick. After it cooled (5 mins) I filed it down and drilled it straight through both sides on a press. I turned some brass bushings and used a 5/16 bolt that could be removed and cleaned easily if the need arises again.