• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jd 544g-rr

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
This might not be the proper designation, but it's appropriate.

Attachments

• rrloader.JPG
    rrloader.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 622

farm_boy

This is a 544G Swing Loader conversion. West Side Tractor in Naperville IL (Chicago) used to perform a ton of these conversions. I still think they do a few of them. Used mainly for rail road work.

WI Winterman

Occupation
student, analyst
that's an odd-looker at first glance! :cool2

Is there some sort of locking mechanism for the articulation point? making the frame rigid while on the rail seems to be an important feature.
anyone operate one? Do you think it gets unstable if the bucket is full and swung out over the side? just curious :beatsme

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
hi-rail stablility

I don't know about a loader but any other rubber mounted equipment I ran on the rail was actually more stable on the gear then on the wheels. There might be a locking mechanism but once a person gets used to running it they probably don't use it. This is the first loader I've seen built like this, but I've seen plenty of speedswings and pettibones like this.

Little Jon

I bet thats not cheap either

Not sure about that one, but the local Komatsu dealership here did up a new loader in the 380 size range(not sure exactly what model) for the railroad (not sure if it was just the gears or if they did the swingbucket to) but the loader ended up costing twice as much as a new one.