• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 455G Transmission

telwood

I started up my 455G loader after a couple months sitting. After a few minutes when I took off the brake I got the transmission pressure warning and the stop light and siren so I shut it off. Looked at the transmission fluid and it appears to be milky with water mixed in it? I ended up preparing to draining the fluid and replace the transmission fluid filter but when I removed the filter it was only about 1/4 full of fluid which I found odd. Is there a pump that might be not allowing fluid to run through the filter? Maybe that being faulty is why the stop and idiot light went on? I changed the filter a couple years ago and remember it being full and spilling over when I removed it. Any thoughts on this? The light and siren only goes on when I disengage the brake.

Thanks,
Tom

Michael Stevens

E94B27F3-8504-4F20-8D99-898B34826F0F.jpeg AA931C9D-3E69-4C47-BD4F-424E6E634116.jpeg
I started up my 455G loader after a couple months sitting. After a few minutes when I took off the brake I got the transmission pressure warning and the stop light and siren so I shut it off. Looked at the transmission fluid and it appears to be milky with water mixed in it? I ended up preparing to draining the fluid and replace the transmission fluid filter but when I removed the filter it was only about 1/4 full of fluid which I found odd. Is there a pump that might be not allowing fluid to run through the filter? Maybe that being faulty is why the stop and idiot light went on? I changed the filter a couple years ago and remember it being full and spilling over when I removed it. Any thoughts on this? The light and siren only goes on when I disengage the brake.

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Did you ever get an answer to this post? I presume not or I would see it. Did you ever figure out the answer yourself? I too have a 455G. I don’t use it and have had it listed for sale a couple times on EBay but either never got what I needed for it or had something to fix before I would repost it. That’s the case now. It was in a flood plain in Spring of 2016 when we got 16-17” rains. It went over the engine. Life hit me and a divorce and later on a layoff from work made me prioritize what I could spend money in. After several months of pecking away at it I had drained and replaced the engine oil, sucked water off the pistons and got it cranked again. Replaced the Hyd oil cooler and it seemed a-ok. But after running it and pulling the dip stick I could see I still have emulsified tranny fluid. I would have drained and replaced the fluid a long time ago but the previous owner hung weights in front of the drain port on the back end. In the interim I used it to lift a 6000 lb Hyd hammer off a trailer and developed a Hyd leak from the front pump section. I can see emulsified fluid ooze down from a port at the left side of engine that comes from the (lack of a better word) bell housing. I’ve gotten a CDL license now and have a building I can put it in now, I also got employed back in Sept so I’m ready to rent a trailer and move it indoors to rectify the pump problem and change the oil. I just went to ensure it would start before rent g the trailer and I have the same symptoms you have with the warning light when releasing the parking lock.

Right now I was googling to see where located/what is the tranny filter when I came across your post. Any tidbits of info you can offer is much appreciated. Love to talk to you by phone some time to share knowledge.

Kind regards

Mike Stevens

telwood

Hey Mike:

No reply yet on this board yet but I have been dealing with a pump and fuel injector pump rebuild on my JD410 backhoe which has taken up my shop area. I'm hoping to get that done and out of my shop for the 455G in the coming week or two.

I have been planning my next move on the 455G though. Just this week received the factory transmission manual and for the convenience of reference got the full parts manual....the online only reference was too much trouble. I did find some guy online saying he drained the tranny fluid and changed the filter and got that light and siren to go off so you might get lucky. Mine mine seems to also have a 2nd gear problem so I am trying to figure out how I can move it about 800' to the shop. I don't need 2nd gear but don't feel comfortable with that siren and wondering if damage is being done. I'll post here when I make some progress and would appreciate if you post any progress on your end.

Thanks,
Tom

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Emulsified oil will have no beneficial results in a trans, engine or final. That oil mixture needs to come out of both these machines at minimum and another change at the earliest possible convenience after some minimal runtime after. Emulsified oil loses lubrication quality which will destroy supply pumps, damage bearings, does not develop sufficient pressure as water heated steams and compresses, grows microbial entities that corrode as well the water itself will set off corrosion. It will block filters and drop pressures as a once oil filled element will seldom pass water until ruptures, same for a water soaked filter media will not pass oils until rupture where all the contaminants flow forward. You both basically diagnosed and ignored the problem that you found.

Fix the water emulsion problem FIRST.

telwood

Finally got back on this machine. The strainer was full of clutch plate parts so I cleaned it out and got the machine up to my shop. 1 and 2nd speed slip pretty bad so assume that pack is trashed. No warning lights and ran great in 3rd.

My plan is to drain it back down and go in to extract the powershift transmission....although am a bit nervous. I assume I'll replace the 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th pack clutch plates, some bears and corresponding plates. Looks like about $500 for parts excluding the bearings and hope the gears and shafts are good. Any thoughts from anyone who has gone this route?