• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 450B Power Steering Cylinders

RiverCity

I have a JD 450B loader that is leaking hydraulic oil out the center of the valve towards front of machine. This is the later version that doesn't have a separate reservoir but gets oil from the trans cooler circuit.
I have all manuals but can't determine how fluid is going through center of the valve. The right cylinder leaks worse than the left.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Do you mean the piece shown below?
Please post a picture of the leaking component.

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 5.06.13 AM.png

RiverCity

Yes Darryl,
I was just trying to post the first image you did.
They are leaking out the center of #12 into the clevis that connects to the steering levers. They are not leaking around the shaft seals.

Looking at the flow diagram in the manual it looks like #12 should seal against #9 internally. I wonder if I should adjust the clevis center to center longer as maybe it is too short to let these contact each other.

I have been tracking down and fixing leaks. Every time I fix 1 it starts leaking somewhere else in the circuit. The latest are these leaks from cylinders.

I really appreciate you uploading these pics and input. I'm somewhat lacking in computer skills.

Thanks,
Dave

Labparamour

Gosh, it was 4 yrs ago I did those- no leaks but weak “power assist.”
If you use the Deere link and scroll to the part number, you usually get sites w the part…sometimes Deere, sometimes other vendors.
I think Deere has had most of the seals I’ve needed.

RiverCity

Thanks I'm mostly worried about the V packings and the seat.
I have a local hydraulic house that can source most anything by size.
I'm counting on them
As always your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again,
Dave