• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 450 G question

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
I searched here, not a lot of info.
What is the proper clutch/brake adjustment procedure ?
The machine works fine but has very little turning ability when the left handle is pulled. The right handle works fine as it will lock the track up and spin on a dime.

Diesel Dave

I assume the left steering handle travels significantly more than the right handle when operating the dozer.
Above the left final drive there is a large plug with a hole for a 1/2 “ square drive. Remove the plug you will see the notched star wheel which adjusts the steering brake. Pry on the bottom of the plug hole to tighten the brake. With engine running and the safety bar up try and match the left handle travel to the right handle. Turn the star wheel just a couple of notches at a time and recheck the handle travel to avoid over adjustment.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Good info, I will look at this this week.
Yes the left handle travels almost all the way back and just barely tries to turn left.
Thank you

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
One more question.... Would it make sense to back off the adjuster on the right side ? It pulls back about mid way of the travel and you can jerk the brakes on ?
This is a borrowed machine that I just operate for a local gun club.

Diesel Dave

I not following what you are describing. There is a measurement spec for the handle travel we used at setup. I will try and and find it.
In the meantime adjust the left side some, there should be a noticeable improvement.

Diesel Dave

Measure lever travel at top lever handles. Track should stop at approximately 127 mm (5 in.) of lever travel .
It is normal for levers to vary up to 13 mm (1.0 in.) in travel when checked to forward and reverse stop track position.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
OK, stopped by the machine before dark, this one took a 3/4 square to open the plug. I see the star wheel, I just did not have long enough screw drivers to get to it. It looks like this setup is similar to the old chevy brake adjusters. Is the formed metal in front of the wheel a lock of some type ?

Diesel Dave

Yes setup is like the old school chev adjuster but nothing is left hand thread :)
The formed metal piece acts as a wheel detent and I think they were also trying an auto adjust which didn’t work worth chit. If you want to back the adjustment off you have to pull the formed metal piece off the wheel while turning it

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Sounds easy enough. Thank you for the info. I may try to get over there in the next day or two to actually adjust it.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
OK, so here is the scoop.
I adjusted the star wheel six or eight clicks, it responded a bit. I went for more and it kept responding and feeling better. I probably moved that wheel on its shaft a half an inch. It steers left but does not feel like the right handle at all. You still have to bring it back and then sort of wait for it. The right handle comes back, you can feel some resistance and then more movement will lock that track.

Diesel Dave

Sounds like the left brake band has chunks of lining missing , I seem to remember the lining was glued not riveted on to the steel band. You can drain the oil and check the transmission pump suction screen at the lower front of the transmission case. I bet you will find lots of crap.

Multiracer

Occupation
Owner/ operator
Sounds like the left brake band has chunks of lining missing , I seem to remember the lining was glued not riveted on to the steel band. You can drain the oil and check the transmission pump suction screen at the lower front of the transmission case. I bet you will find lots of crap.
This is not my machine. I was just trying to make it usable for what we need at the gun club. Thanks for all your help.