• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 450 clutches

Brown343

I have a 450B dozer with dry clutches that have stuck due to lack of running the machine. I've filled the compartment with diesel fuel but to no avail. Is there any other tricks to free them up without tearing into it?

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
Did you try tying the steering clutches back while they soak. Might help. Have broken them loose by bumping against something solid while holding both levers back. Might have to get a little rough with it. Not much to lose, if they don't come loose your going to have to take them apart anyway. Might try solvent or "Hagen's Brew", 1/2 ATF 1/2 Acetone. Wash out with solvent when done. Time soaking will help.

Last edited:

Brown343

Did you try tying the steering clutches back while they soak. Might help. Have broken them loose by bumping against something solid while holding both levers back. Might have to get a little rough with it. Not much to lose, if they don't come loose your going to have to take them apart anyway. Might try solvent or "Hagen's Brew", 1/2 ATF 1/2 Acetone. Wash out with solvent when done. Time soaking will help.

Do you mean bump the dozer against something solid? Like a big ole tree??

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
If you tie a good load on it and work it back and forth with the clutches tied back you will have a decent chance of breaking them free while soaking.sometimes adjusting the clutches up so they try to move farther with the release lever helps also. Not sure about JD but many CATS have ended up with more internal damage by ramming a tree. Working back and forth allows the loose juice to penetrate as things start to wiggle and loosen from the ends inward. A good disc or what have you do give it a good load works well. Did this last year with a 2U D8 with a stuck clutch. Used a scraper and would back p a little with the pan on the ground. After an hour the clutch freed up. Good luck and keep us posted.

crayton

Occupation
Don't want one now, retired.
I didn't mean hitting a big old tree or rock at 5 mph in 5th gear but am sure we all have spun both tracks when dozing so start out gently at about I/4 throttle in first gear and be gentle. if that doesn't work be a little less gentle. This is where the "Operator" skill comes into play as opposed to just a driver. Good luck, patience and perseverance. Idea of hooking onto something that pulls really hard and alternate between forward and reverse is good if you can get the darned thing lined up to hook up.

Last edited:

lantraxco

Usually what happens with these is some of the plates come loose, some stay stuck, so when you do break it loose you strip the splines on the stuck plates. Just my experience. Cheers