• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jd 410b --backhoe works--loader does not work--any ideas

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
I have a 1976 JD410b--I was moving leaves for 1 hour and after lowering the loader bucket it would not move--will not raise--will not dump---backhoe still works well---trans good --no leaks--no noises--loader controls will only move bucket or raise bucket when cold and move it at 5% of normal speed--after a short time the loader will not move at all--when trying to operate loader there is no change in engine or pump noise--any ideas--Thanks George

Delmer

There's a priority valve that cuts off the pressure to the loader if the hydraulic pressure drops below a certain pressure (in order to "prioritise the steering and brakes, the backhoe is not affected). So you either have a low standby pressure or the priority valve is messed or maybe the loader valve is messed? If the backhoe functions normally and you get the same engine response from using the steering, brakes, and backhoe, then I'd guess it's in the priority valve. Look at the breakdown on JDparts and that will show you what plug to pull out to check for garbage or broken springs etc. If you have to pull it out, my condolences.

Are you familiar enough with this system to recognize the engine loading and unloading when the pump starts pumping and goes into standby?

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
I am not familiar enough with this system to recognize the engine loading and unloading when the pump starts pumping and goes into standby--The steering does seem normal--I know the rpms drop when I use the backhoe and when I used the loader--

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
where is the priority valve located---I am having a hard time finding info on this year jd410c---thanks

Delmer

I know the rpms drop when I use the backhoe and when I used the loader--

If the rpms drop when you use the loader then the loader is getting pressure in standby, not sure what that means now? If I were you, I'd wait to get a second and third opinion.

The priority valve on a similar JD is on the inside of the right frame, just follow the high pressure line from the pump, it goes to the priority valve, then lines go from there to the loader valve, backhoe valve, etc.

What kind of repairs do you feel like doing and what is your urgency to get this fixed?

edit: good point, I was assuming this was a closed center system, but I could have my models mixed up.

Last edited:

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
The engine rpms would drop when the loader worked--the rpms do not drop at this time with the loader not working---

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I was assuming this was a closed center system

The 410B is a closed center/pressure sensing hydraulic system. :)

You need a helper, unless you're an octopus. Start engine, pull the backhoe boom up lever until booms is all the way up and hold the lever there keeping pressure on the boom. Turn the steering wheel all the way, left or right, until it hits bottom and hold it there, now see if your front loader and bucket works.

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
with the boom all the way back and under pressure--the steering wheel turned all the way and held under pressure the loader is still dead at low rpm and very very slow at 1500 rpm----The engine did not load up and drop in rpm when the boom was pulled back and held nor did the engine load up when the steering wheel was pinned--------I did notice that even the very slow lift of the loader stopped when the steering wheel was being turned right or left ------any ideas and thanks for the help

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm beginning to agree with Delmer, sounds like priority valve isn't letting oil get to the loader control valve.

Deere 410 backhoe priority valve.jpg

Delmer

You could tee off the backhoe, but that would be my last resort to eliminate the priority valve as the issue.

There are two hex plugs, one on either end of the same bore at the bottom of the valve, if you can get to the valve and remove those plugs you "should" be able to get the guts out easily. I say should because if there's a brokens spring etc. it may take a little creativity to pull the guts out. If they're not broken or messed up, then put them back in and try it again.

Can you test the standby pressure at the pump when the loader valve is operated? that might tell us something.

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
Did you get it fixed? if so, what was it?

There is only one hex head plug and i have to take the backing plate off the p valve--It looks like most of the hydraulic fluid will need to be removed--I will drain it next week and then get on it with the good weather

GEM1410

Occupation
unemployed
i sold it to a guy that wanted to wrestle with it--it was not an easy job as a flange covered the rear of the valve housing--the end where the valve comes out--the flange was part of a main support--with this sites help the buyer paid more knowing he could do it--thanks for asking:)