• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410 engine problems after rebuild

Burns-Tractor

Thanks for everyone's info and help!

I found out the valves were waaay loose, even a couple pushrods had fallen to the side. I have no idea what happened but I have all the valves adjusted properly now and it's no longer blowing back out the intake and it sounds way better.
It's now puffing out a little smoke when I crank it but it will not start.
I read this interesting article here

https://theboatgalley.com/starting-a-diesel-after-rebuild/

And it's about how hard it is to start a rebuilt diesel engine.
It says that a rebuilt engine has low compression because the rings are not sealed tight and the only way to set the rings is letting the engine run so it's a catch 22.
Eitherway I'll keep trying tomorrow, it's decided to rain today so I can't work on it.
I'll keep everyone updated

Vetech63

It says that a rebuilt engine has low compression because the rings are not sealed tight and the only way to set the rings is letting the engine run so it's a catch 22
In my opinion that is bs......but it depends on the rebuild itself. New liners and rings will make a real nice fit and lose little compression other than what is normal through the ring gaps. On the other hand, when you re-ring a worn bore then you can possible have excessive loss. If you did a proper rebuild, the timing is correct, and the fuel system is bled of air..........it sure fire up easily. I am suspicious of your timing at this point.

Tinkerer

That article is total BS. Carolyn has her head in her XXX.
Here is a quote from her--- "And here’s the rub — until the rings are seated, the engine won’t have sufficient compression to start. Sort of a Catch-22, huh? The engine won’t start until the rings are seated, and the rings won’t seat until the engine has run.
The solution: keep trying to start it (in other words, pseudo-run it), using the attempts to slowly seat the rings."

Just because it is on the internet doesn't mean its true. :D

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Dick Landon, a good mechanic always squirted a bit of oil in each cylinder of a fresh engine to help seal valves & rings.

Reactions: DB2

Tinkerer

You should "bite the bullet"and remove the front cover and redo the timing.
Not just the engine gears but also the IP timing.
mg2361 already said you have to pin the flywheel at TDC.
If you don't do that and you are off a couple of degrees you are screwed again.
Hopefully you haven't bent any valves or damaged any pistons already.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
The “pin” is usually bolted to the firewall.. or has an oring holding it on.. it looks like a 2” long cap..
U might b able to google it to get a mental picture of it..

Burns-Tractor

Thanks for the info, sorry for not posting, haven't had time lately.
I pulled the valve cover off, turned the engine over to tdc and I put the locking pin in the flywheel and the valves are all adjusted properly. I removed the pin out of the flywheel and turned the engine 360° and then slipped the pin back into the flywheel. Again checked valves and they are gapped properly. When I turned the engine over by hand I watched the valves and they were closed during the compression stroke as they should have been. So I am now 100% sure the cam is timed right.

I did dump a little bit of oil down each cylinder to help seal up the rings.

My valves are fine, when I resembled this engine I slowly turned it over by hand and it turned over smoothing with no sound of the valves touching the pistons.

It isn't as easy as removing the front timing cover, I will have to dismantle the whole machine to get that cover off.
I will try a few more things before I dismantle everything again.

I hooked up a 2nd battery because the engine was cranking slow even with a charger hooked up.
It is now spinning faster and it is smoking when it cranks over but it will not fire and it will not fire on WD-40

Thanks again for everyone's help

Burns-Tractor

Is the IP delivering plenty of fuel to the injectors ?
I would remove the air filter(s) when spraying WD40 in the air cleaner.
Unless you have a way to get it in the manifold downstream from them.

I don't know if I'm getting enough fuel to the injectors, it's kinda hard to know for sure, when I crack open the line on the injector it pulses out fuel, how much fuel should come out? I'm thinking my Kubota (20hp) tractor sprays a bit of fuel when the injector line is loosened. This just seeps out around the fitting.

I have the main air filter tube removed and I sprayed the WD-40 straight in the intake manifold.

Thanks for the info

Burns-Tractor

WD 40 doesn't contain propane any more

That's funny, I was just talking to my friend that told me to use WD-40 the other day and he said "unless they changed the formula of it"
lol, can't wait to tell him.
He used to be a semi mechanic in the 90's, I guess things have changed since then

edgephoto

That's funny, I was just talking to my friend that told me to use WD-40 the other day and he said "unless they changed the formula of it"
lol, can't wait to tell him.
He used to be a semi mechanic in the 90's, I guess things have changed since then

The EPA and CA ruined every chemical. Brake clean used to evaporate quickly and leave zero residue now it smells different and does not dry quick and leaves a film.

Even starting fluid is not straight ether anymore. Used to use it to seat beads on stubborn tires. Spray a circle around the bead make a trail away from it and hit it with a match. boom tire seated. Now it just slow burns and you set your new tire on fire.

Tinkerer

I would remove #1 cylinder fuel injector and reconnect the pump line to it and observe the spray pattern.
At the same time see if it is popping on the compression stroke.

According to Wikipedia the propellant in WD-40 is carbon dioxide.
FWIW---- starting fluid with 80% ether is available from John Deere dealers. Use it sparingly !!

Last edited:

Burns-Tractor

I would remove #1 cylinder fuel injector and reconnect the pump line to it and observe the spray pattern.

FWIW---- starting fluid with 80% ether is available from John Deere dealers. Use it sparingly !!

Ok, I am getting a good amount of fuel to the injectors.
I did pull #1 injector and then hooked it back up to the fuel line, I held a piece of cardboard Infront of it and it seems like the injector isn't puting out any fuel at all which explains a lot.
So I'm thinking either the injection pump is not puting out enough pressure to set the injector off or the injectors them selves are stuck?

Burns-Tractor

I didn't test to see if it's piping on the compression stroke, I figure I'll sort out no fuel out first

Burns-Tractor

The EPA and CA ruined every chemical. Brake clean used to evaporate quickly and leave zero residue now it smells different and does not dry quick and leaves a film.

Even starting fluid is not straight ether anymore. Used to use it to seat beads on stubborn tires. Spray a circle around the bead make a trail away from it and hit it with a match. boom tire seated. Now it just slow burns and you set your new tire on fire.

That makes a lot of sense, I tried using starter fluid to seat a stubborn tire and I would just light the tire on fire, I finally gave up on it

Tinkerer

No fuel at the injectors ?
It could be the pump. Look for the simple things first.
Sorry, I gotta ask --- is there plenty of fuel flow to the IP ?
If there is, have you bled the all of the air out of the fuel delivery system.

Burns-Tractor

Ok, I pulled out all 4 injectors, hooked them up to the fuel lines and I wasn't getting much fuel, however after cranking it over a few more times with the valve cover off to check the pulse timing the injectors started spraying really good! I set a camera up on slow motion and just checked the footage back on the computer, it looks like the fuel pulseing at the tdc of the exhaust stroke.
So I'm assuming the injection pump timing is off 180?
Can I just pull the injector pump, rotate it 180 and the put it back in?

I have no idea why I'm getting fuel at the injectors now, maybe there was air in the lines? However I was having good fuel pulst to the injectors.