• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 410 Backhoe Steering Ram Disassembly Problem

avfirey

Occupation
Aviation Firefighter (Retired)
Am installing seal kit & have removed shaft from steering ram cylinder on JD 410 backhoe but cannot remove the piston from end of shaft. It spins freely & I suspect it may be a 2 piece part with an internal circlip or something as has a hard blue fibre seal that must be replaced on piston also but cannot seperate it. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190427_161324.jpg
    20190427_161324.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 47

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Probably just a burr on the threads and/or inside diameter of the piston holding you up. Try moving it with a hammer and a block of wood. Also is it a straight 410, B, C? Serial number as well would help.

showrguy

Am installing seal kit & have removed shaft from steering ram cylinder on JD 410 backhoe but cannot remove the piston from end of shaft. It spins freely & I suspect it may be a 2 piece part with an internal circlip or something as has a hard blue fibre seal that must be replaced on piston also but cannot seperate it. Any assistance greatly appreciated.
I, We, had to reseal my 410 steering cylinder a few months ago..
That little white seal that goes inside that puck took two of us and 10-15 minutes to get into the groove...
It’ll bring out every cuss word you ever learned..

Bls repair

Occupation
Equipment operator,mechanic
I’ve done similar ones, being your going to replace it anyway you don’t have to be careful.
Get a oring ,dental pick ,slide it under the blue seal then pull out and down to get it out of the groove . You will probably have to get a spot pulled out hold with your thumb then side the pick around pulling it out as you go around.when you put it together I put it in hot water or oil to soften it up

Bls repair

Occupation
If nut just spins try putting pressure on it with a gear puller

avfirey

Occupation
So if I am reading you guys right the piston should just slide off the end of the shaft once i remove the retaining nut? Currently the piston wont slide past where the thread on shaft starts & only has about 1/2 inch movement up & down on shaft & also rotates freely. I thought piston may be threaded but only allows half a turn on thread of shaft before locking solid.
Was not keen to try knocking it off shaft with bit of wood & hammer until I knew for sure that piston was not threaded on as the thread is what stops piston sliding off shaft.

Bls repair

Occupation
How tight was the nut put on? Slide the piston as far as you can do see ant that look s out of place ? Photos of this area would help. Every cylinder I ever took apart just pulled apart once you took the nut off.

Delmer

I'd put the rod vertical in your big vice with the piston up and the nut off, some aluminum, copper, or cardboard protecting the vice jaws from the piston and rod. Tighten the vice until you have 1/8" clearance to the rod, lift the rod and slam it down on the jaws, don't drop the piston...

avfirey

Occupation
Tried that. Piston will not move past the beginning of thread on rod. Will also only move up the rod about 1/2 inch back from threaded section of rod.

Delmer

I guess I'd lock the piston in a vice and turn the rod backwards while trying to pull it out of the piston.

Guessing that the threads are deformed, or bent, and you'll wear them smooth enough to get it off.

avfirey

Occupation
There isn’t a snap ring under one of those seals is there?
Thats exactly how it feels. Have previously removed the blue square faced seal that is split & easy to take in & out & found nothing. I will take out the 2 black double orings & check under them today. The reason I have not persisted with using force on piston is because of the possibility of a snapring. Just didnt want to remove all the orings until piston off & prepped to begin reassembly. Will let u know if I find anything

Bls repair

Occupation
If you have snap ring in middle of piston you shouldn’t have any movement up or down the rod.

avfirey

Occupation
Gentlemen. I have finally succeeded in removing piston from the hydraulic rod. As some of you stated there was no snapring despite behaving like there was. Forcefully sliding the ram cylinder screw end down the shaft onto the piston top eventually resulted in a win. Thank you to all who offered assistance. Knowing I wasnt up against a hidden snap ring provided the confidence to apply the necessary force required. Your assistance greatly appreciated.
Cheers to all.

showrguy

Gentlemen. I have finally succeeded in removing piston from the hydraulic rod. As some of you stated there was no snapring despite behaving like there was. Forcefully sliding the ram cylinder screw end down the shaft onto the piston top eventually resulted in a win. Thank you to all who offered assistance. Knowing I wasnt up against a hidden snap ring provided the confidence to apply the necessary force required. Your assistance greatly appreciated.
Cheers to all.
Did you attack that 1/4” wide white seal inside the puck yet ??
Can’t wait to here your thoughts after that !!

Bls repair

Occupation
62F5D265-DABE-4449-A9E9-BBBA35E7328E.jpeg if It’s like other ones I’ve done you fold it up and zip tie it slip in hole cut zip tie.you may need help

avfirey

Occupation
Yeah! Would rather have six teeth pulled than fit that damn seal again.
Managed to get it after about 30 minutes. The neighbours on the next hill probably know a few new cuss words & even the dog is avoiding me. Bls ufortunately I read your post about the zip tie trick afterwards. I wont forget it though. Thanks again to all.

showrguy

Yeah! Would rather have six teeth pulled than fit that damn seal again.
Managed to get it after about 30 minutes. The neighbours on the next hill probably know a few new cuss words & even the dog is avoiding me. Bls ufortunately I read your post about the zip tie trick afterwards. I wont forget it though. Thanks again to all.
That’s a damn funny (and true) explanation of my experience with that seal !!

LN Pipeline

714wuD4tsxL._SX679_.jpg