1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310G Quits Running after 45min to 1 Hr

Discussion in 'Tractor/Loader/Backhoes' started by Dave Aze, Feb 11, 2019 at 5:05 AM.

1. Dave Aze

Dave Aze New Member

Local dealership no help. Injector pump replaced, filters changed fuel tank drained and flushed. (Twice and dealership recommendation. The tractor will operate great for about 45min then loose power and die. will not restart. let it sit for 6-12 hrs and it will start back up and run great for another 45min. then die. At wits end. Any subjections thanks.

2. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Technician
    Welcome to HEF Dave;). Check the fuel tank vent first. Check fuel return lines that they are not restricted or pinched. Has anyone checked fuel pressure? Lift pump? Fittings going into or out of the filter head or lift pump (those areas like to collect debris)?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    Tinkerer and Vetech63 like this.
  3. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Read my mind. I got $5 on the tank venting.

mg2361 and Tinkerer like this.
  4. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    Just loosen the fuel tank cap & see what that does, after running it for about 30 minutes.. IF u hear a rush of air when u loosen it, the cap vent is clogged..{small hole in cap}

mg2361 likes this.
  5. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

If it's not the fuel cap, has anybody checked that the injection pump is getting power when it won't restart after dying?

6. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    Does it have the electronically controlled injection pump? I've seen corrosion and or loose connections on the pins of the ECU (mounted on the block, below the inj pump) it can cause all kinds of head scratching. (No start, hard start, intermittently shutting down).

mg2361 likes this.
  7. Dave Aze

Dave Aze New Member

Thank you for the quick answers from everyone. checked the vent on the cap and its plugged solid. blew on it and nothing. Hope this solved 3 yrs of head acks. Will try it out as soon as I can. Let you know how it works out.