• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310D whine in reverse

CCompanies

1996 JD 310D 4x4, everything works as it should.
Only issue I have is when in reverse, I hear a whine, which to me seems to be coming from the reverser.

Anyone have any experience with this and/or know to remedy this?

Deon

Is the machine new to you or if you've owned it for a long time and that wine is a new noise? My 1992 310D also wines in reverse. The wine is heard when there is resistance and is not when there is none, like backing over bumpy terrain. As far as I know this is just the normal sound from all the gears working while in reverse.

CCompanies

Ive owned the machine for 2 years and it's always whined in reverse. The load on the machine has never affected the whine.

Also, after running it for a while, the transmission temp alarm will sometimes come on, and if I let it idle for a few minutes, I'm good to go.

It's going to be entering its third season of snow removal, and just don't want to have any issues.

Just hoping it's not a reverser on its way out.

Deon

CCompanies,
Your machine, altough also a 310D, I believe is quite different than mine in the reverser department. I have an earlier model with the Borg Warner reverser. Your reverser may be built by Deere, I'm not sure. Someone may be able to clarify this. Maybe ATCO can help here. The wine may be normal but if your reverser over heats it probably has an issue unless the temp sender is defective instead. Hopefully if we keep posting someone with the right knowledge will reply. Hope you find whats going on. Post the last 6 digits of your serial number in your next post. That may help if the right guy answers.

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
can you provide any further info with regards to past maintenance? Filters, oil change, coolant level or change, how long does it run before alarm trips? I maintain a 94 310-d and it has always had a small whine in reverse. The reverser oil is cooled through the radiator.

CCompanies

It has had a full fluid and filter change last November. 2 years ago the water pump was rebuilt by Deere. I havent had any major mechanical issues with it since the water pump. I am the second owner, it was bought new by a construction company that had gone out of business. The maintemance they performed on the machine was always up to date.

The machine shifts smoothly, no unusal noises. Just the whine in reverse. Reading others' posts, thats somewhat normal. I'm wondering if I should be more concerned with the high tranny temp.

Ive never been present when the temp alarm goes off, I'm just told by the operators that it happened while they were using it. From what I gather, there is no set time, just alarms after using it, could be connected to warmer days.

ser# 824929

equip guy

Occupation
Ag and Construction Equip mechanic
I think so too. One of the things I'm wondering is if the oil that was used was John Deere Hygard, or some other type. I'm going to check on your serial number break and check for any bulletins. I also have all the tech manuals for this machine. I will try to respnd back to you tomorrow.