• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310C Backhoe low RPMs - injection pump vs fuel problem??

Heith

I have a John Deere 310C Backhoe that recently started lacking power. I was running it one day and it started to lose power, then would not rev up, gain RPMs. It seems to be running around 1200-1500 RPM but no more with the throttle open. I have replaced the fuel filter, oil is good, diesel is 1 month old. It will drive slow in forward and reverse, the hydraulics work well, but it just lacks power as I believe the RPMs are low. Throttle linkage is good. The throttle open to the screws still doesn't get the RPMs above 1500.

I suspect a fuel delivery problem or injection pump problem. injection pump RE-21773. I will apologize I am an amateur mechanic, but would appreciate help and direction in solving this matter.

Tyler d4c

Pull the return check off the top of the pump clean it and reinstall it if fixed it your pump is going to need a overhaul as it is coming apart internally

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Heith;)! Some simple checks before we go to pressure checks. I would check your fuel tank vent (part of the fuel cap). If the the fitting in the top of your injection pump (as Tyler mentioned above) does not resolve your issue and the vent is clear I would check the suction screen in your tank. It is attached to the fitting that is screwed into the bottom of the tank.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I'm working on 1 RIGHT NOW.. it has a plethora of problems.. Lift pump was bad, fuel filter never been changed.. "somebody" knocked the check ball out.. & nobody know ANYTHING about "that"..
It clearly has vise grip and punch marks on the connector..Lol & the return line was stopped up from the flex ring pieces that were going back to the tank..
So I got ALL of that mess fixed & it boiled down to the inj. pump.. I snatched it off & took it back to the shop & tore it down.. The flex ring was GONE.. TOTALLY GONE.. not a piece to be found..Lol {its in the tank}
& the rust/water contamination was "almost" unbelievable..
I'm heading back out this morning to put it all back together.. Trying to beat the rain..