• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310B Backhoe Hydraulic Cylinder Rebuild Advice

Scout_1969

somehow I can't figure how to delete an inadvertent duplicate post;)

Last edited:

Scout_1969

It looks like the stabilizer kit is RE18754

Attachments

• 45BB0E04-CDAB-4272-BF23-3A8C89C1F4AE.jpeg
    45BB0E04-CDAB-4272-BF23-3A8C89C1F4AE.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 6

Delmer

Yes, the stabilizer is the only one with the JD locknut style that you would push out to remove the locknut. The others have to have the pressure relieved before trying to loosen. Only use the hydraulics to push the rod out as a last resort, they should usually pull out cleaner, by hand,or by a pin through the end and a chain around something to pull with, by hand, or chain binder/come along, and use lots of wood/cardboard to protect the parts from falling.

Scout_1969

You might be hard pressed for space to use those wrenches on your swing cylinders.... the crowd and swing are the same set up are they not....?.... big gland nut?( rod guide nut)

I just took a drift pin and gave it a wrap.... round and round.... Mine were not hard fast in the bore. Came loose easily. Rod came out simple too.
Now... I had a shop replace the seals.... but I pulled the rod on one ( swing) and pulled the whole cylinder on the other ( not needed... easier to just pull the rod with the bore on the machine)

Swing cylinder gland access is tight for the plier style gland wrench. I’m trying to do this without buying to many special tools, if I can’t borrow might end up buying some.

Yes the crowd and swing are the same style, big gland nut.

I might try the drift pin first.

Scout_1969

Would someone be able to double check me on the seal kit numbers? (1983 310B)
Stabilizer = RE18754
Crowd and swing = AR105387

I hope to order from Baum hydraulics tomorrow

T-town

Occupation
retired !
I looked at mine closer today..... there is more room than I thought....
My swings both loosened up easy...And I used a pipe wrench to re-install and tighten.

As for the stabilizer and boom... they are the style with the internal snap ring. I have no experience with those.... but looks straightforward.
Sorry can't help with those seal kits...got mine thru 310B Backhoe Seal Kits | HW Part Store....... but the guy that did my install had issues and had to get up with the parts people there.... but they did get it figured out.

Scout_1969

We’ll, I have the majority of my seal kits and two on the way. I have a total of 9 cylinders leaking to varying degrees that while I’m set up, I’m planning on tackling. Stabilizer (smaller) first to get an idea of the process then onto the crowd, boom etc.
Also have tools and supplies gathered up that will hopefully be what are needed.

Last edited:

Scout_1969

The 4-1 bucket cylinders are leaking slightly too, but it’s a Gannon bucket and I can’t find part numbers, so I might open one up and get help to match the seals up. Unless I can find part number(s).

The dusty conditions have really showed the leakers!

T-town

Occupation
retired !
Good luck with your repacks....
10-4 on the conditions.. had to pull a floorboard to get at a battery cable... and man I could grow plants under there ;)

Scout_1969

Two of us got four cylinders done on Saturday in about 9 hours. Started with the two stabilizers and then the two swing cylinders. As others suggested, we started with an easier, perhaps smaller cylinder first. Like most new tasks, the first one takes much longer. Placing the old removed seals on a piece of pipe was very helpful to confirm orientation and helped us be more certain we had the new ones installed correctly. Of course we took some pictures too. The kits come with extra seals since the kits cover several models, so having extras and similar seals made it a little interesting!
Seating the wipers was kinda tricky getting the correct size driver (socket).
The Milwaukee 1/2” impact was a time saver and handled what we needed. The first one we reattached the rod end back onto the stabilizer to hold it while using the impact. We decided to try the others with the assembly out on the floor and the impact removed the nuts just fine. I borrowed the impact but buying one would be justifiable if someone has a few to do as well it could be used for other uses of course.

Not an easy job and it’s dirty of course, but doing it ourselves and learning is rewarding. Saving money is always nice too!

Last edited: