• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GaragePhilosopher

Bought a John Deere 310A backhoe 15 years ago. It seemed to have good fwd and reverse pwr but in high gears up hills it would get weak. The same backhoe working in good order would have no problem with the same hill. The problem worsened over the years so a mechanic and I split it apart and replaced the clutch packs. The old clutch packs didn't have much wear however. The problem of weak fwd and reverse was the same after reassembly. After a week of driving and digging, it now will just barely move. We placed a pressure gauge on the reverser control valve ports for fwd and reverse, they indicate over 150psi while on flat ground but as we drive up a hill the pressure falls to 50psi and the machine wont move further. We replaced the springs and pins in the reverser clutch control valve but it didn't help. We added shims to increase the pressure which juiced it upwards of 175psi but saw the same indications on the pressure gauge as before. It digs, steers, and brakes with problem so I'm reluctant to say the main trans pump is the culprit. The reverser clutch control valve appeared to have no wear but then again it's aluminum and tough to tell. No external leaks to speak of on the entire machine and all linkages seem clean. Tried adjusting/tightening the clutch linkage but saw no improvement. I see many others have had the same indications as I but have not seen any solutions other than one person who found a faulty seal on the clutch pack. I will reinspect mine...

Last edited:

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Serial number? Transmission filter changed? Transmission filter relief inspected? Suction screen clean? Clutch adjusted with a pressure gauge per tech manual TM1158?

310A Suction screen and filter relief.png

GaragePhilosopher

Much appreciated mg2361! I'll get the serial number tomorrow for you. The filters are new, the screen is clean. We attempted to adjust the clutch with the pressure gauge per the tech manual but there was not enough pressure to conduct the test/adjustment. It just drops completely off when driving up slight hills if it moves at all. I will check on the transmission filter relief....Take care!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes, sorry, Welcome to HEF GaragePhilosopher;)!

If the filter relief is OK then the next step would be a transmission pump flow test to rule out whether or not your trans pump is the issue.

bcolony

Occupation
Builder/Consultant
I've just purchased a 310A and was a little bummed that it's a total dog up an average Ozarkian hill in any gear above 3rd. It runs like a sewing machine, starts instantly. It has several sticky valves that'll need rebuilt but overall a good machine. I'm going to get through the steps above over the next few weekends, but I'd love to run the Transmission Pump flow test while I'm at it. Any additional info on that process would be appreciated. Thanks, great question, and replies!

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF bcolony;)!

I wish you the best with your new toy. If you end up with more questions down the road, please start a new thread.