• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 310 D backhoe won't go in F or R

Ham162

My neighbors 310d backhoe has been given him fits . He has been having to cycle the brake switch to get it to go in F and R so I decided to check it out for him. What I have found is a chattering brake relay and switched it out with other relays alike the chattering continues in the same location . It clatters only when you turn the brake switch to on , and will quit chattering when you rev up the engine. At that time it still won't go in F or R all the time just sometimes. The voltage to the coil on the brake relay fluctuates from 11.9 to 13.9 volts . Voltage at the batteries with engine run ing is 13.9v . Today I went under to check the brake and had him turn the brake switch on and off and the rod only goes in after he revs the engine up. Is it the alternator not giving enough volts or something else like the switch ? I have no schematics or wiring diagrams can't see the valves or actuator that operates the brake. Any advice on what to check or do next would be very appreciated. Thanks

Delmer

Here's my guess, if the relay is chattering then it's not getting enough voltage. that could be because of a short in the load drawing too much current, or a loose connection not supplying enough current when the load is connected.

If there is 13+ volts at the battery with some accessories running, then the alternator is working. I can't explain why it works when the engine revs and don't have the schematic...

jimg984

clean all the main electric connections (tapped terminal at starter** sometimes small amounts of power will not go thru bad connections, even tho the starter will work,, ground connections are just important as the postive connections

Ham162

Thanks Deon for that download, Im going to print out the electrical sections . Will clean connections at the starter jimg , oh where is the reverser pressure switch? Thanks will keep you posted Deon.

johnny_waz

Occupation
Engineering
Check the transmission fluid level. If its low the park brake kicks on. Don't ask me how I know, lol.

Last edited:

johnny_waz

Occupation
Engineering
So, what ended up being the problem? I like knowing what it was, plus it helps future searchers.