• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JD 244J Wheel Loader - Long Beep - locks up transmission

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Hello all - I have a John Deere 244J wheel loader that intermittently sounds a 3-5 seconds-long (and very loud) beep, right before the transmission will not allow forward or reverse movement. Engine stays running, but stops dead. I have to shut it off and wait 5 minutes and then it will move, but then sometimes only for a few feet and then a long beep and it's stuck again, other times it runs all day and nothing ever again for weeks. Sometimes it happens after an hour of use reverse grading a dirt lot, and sometimes it's on a 30 degree Fahrenheit morning after 5 minutes of use. I thought it might be a warning to change the air cleaner so I did that. Didn't fix it. A full service and tune-up didn't fix it. I have looked over all the forums online and cannot find anyone who has even remotely a similar issue. I've asked John Deere and they've looked at it, replaced a fuel filter and a fuel line, but that didn't fix it. It has 2600 very pampered hours. If pictures help I can take pictures but you can't hear the sound with pictures. It's really very simple, I'm sure. Anyone have any ideas?

512high

I use to have a 2011 John Deere 244J, however, it would always display a code. Are you seeing any codes? When was the first time it started acting up? Wiring harness maybe crimped? I'm not a mechanic....keep his posted

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
I use to have a 2011 John Deere 244J, however, it would always display a code. Are you seeing any codes? When was the first time it started acting up? Wiring harness maybe crimped? I'm not a mechanic....keep his posted

I've never seen a code, and I've looked for one - although I might be on the wrong mode screen. I found years ago that I could scroll through the mode screen, (see image,) using the "mode" button. What Mode should I be on?

1.jpeg

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Welcome to HEF MuttonJeff;)!

Serial number?

Post a picture of your instrument panel when it quits moving. It might have a number in the display that reads something like "EXXX".

Thank you. As for the serial number, I lent the manual to my mechanic and all that info is in that book. I should be getting that back soon and I'll let you know. (See the image in my previous post of my instrument panel, and here is another picture of my switches, etc.)

switches.jpg

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Had the same happening to my jd323e track loader problem was with the speed sensors.

You know, come to think of it, I am never in motion when this alarm goes off. It's always when I've just stopped or just switched to either reverse or forward direction, and quite possibly when I have just depressed the left brake/clutch pedal. Thank you for your input. I'll have to really pay attention to what I'm doing exactly when it sounds again, and I'll look for codes. Thank you all - I'll keep you all posted

I found a safety manual really helpful - thought I'd share one of the images - I didn't know this was wrong haha

is it wrong.jpeg

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Ok it just happened again - no code that I could see in the hours mode - and I was depressing the left pedal (clutch/brake) to switch to reverse, on tilted forward ground level. I heard the small beep for lifting the boom too slowly, (I have a weight scale that only works if I lift it quickly,) and then the long beep, and this time it was in the middle of dropping a palletized load using the forks instead of the bucket, onto a customers trailer. I had to shut it off, and then tell the customer we needed to wait a few minutes as I let the tractor "cool down," even though it had only been running for a few minutes. After five minutes, I turned it on and everything worked great again, for another 30 seconds. Luckily I was able to pull the forks out of the pallet and sit next to the customers trailer, and while I was talking to him about the load, it beeped a long beep again, and now It's still stuck, and won't fix itself after the shut-down / restart. The engine turns on, and the boom will go up and down, but no forward or reverse motion. :(

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
And, while this has nothing to do with the current issue, where would I order a new AC / Heater control panel plaque? As you can see in the images above, mine is missing. It snapped into pieces on a cold morning. I taped it back together and was able to scan it and recreate it in vectoring software... but I'd rather just buy one that fits perfectly then to have to make one, just in case I don't get it to just the right size. Any help/website address, would be greatly appreciated.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
What Mode should I be on?

It doesn't matter. If there would have been an active code it would just appear on the screen. There is no way to access any kind of stored codes either.

With no codes I would suspect a possible park brake pressure switch issue. When it quits does the park brake light come on? The park brake pressure switch is mounted on a valve (with an accumulator on it) in inside the front loader frame.

and I was depressing the left pedal

Is the pedal returning all the way back up?

Serial number when you can get it. Makes a difference on information. S/N plate located on the left side of the loader frame near the fender.

As far as your heater control panel, probably only available through Deere. There is a serial number break (that number again) for the panel. I could give you a part number to google search after I get the S/N.

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Serial number?

Post a picture of your instrument panel when it quits moving. It might have a number in the display that reads something like "EXXX".

Can't find S/N although I found this one (721088) and the YT video of that matches mine;

And it happened again yesterday, this time with a code; E300F
I believe it has to do with a fuel sensor of sorts. If anybody else wants to give it a try, that's fine with me. It starts and resets itself for now, so it's good until we get some confirmation on a real part :)

Last edited:

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
Had the same happening to my jd323e track loader problem was with the speed sensors.

The code is E300F

Codes that are close to this, are easily available, which probably relate to your issue
;
522401.03 (E303B) - Ground Speed Sensor Short to Power
522401.04 (E3014) - Ground Speed Sensor Short to Ground
522401.05 (E3015) - Ground Speed Sensor Open Circuit
522411.12 (E5035) - Forward, Neutral, Reverse Switch Signal Mismatch

And codes that are easily available which probably relate to my issue;

000829.04 (E300B) - Fuel Level Sensor Open or Short to Ground
000829.03 (E300C) - Fuel Level Sensor Short to Power
000829.02 (E300D) - Fuel Pressure Sensor Short to Power
000829.01 (E300F) - Fuel .... ?

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
It doesn't matter. If there would have been an active code it would just appear on the screen.

You're right - it did. It took about 3 seconds to show up, and that's why I didn't see it the first time.

With no codes I would suspect a possible park brake pressure switch issue. When it quits does the park brake light come on?

I didn't notice this last time - but I'll look for that the next time - if I don't fix it first.

Is the pedal returning all the way back up?

Yeah that's working fine

Serial number when you can get it. Makes a difference on information. S/N plate located on the left side of the loader frame near the fender.

Either it's been removed or ... it's just not there - I can't find it.

As far as your heater control panel, probably only available through Deere. There is a serial number break (that number again) for the panel. I could give you a part number to google search after I get the S/N.

Let's just use this number, it's the same exact machine and I'm sure that would work; S/N 721088

Thank you everyone - waiting further replies

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
I found the Control Panel I need online, now I just need to move to Poland and order it :)

control panel.jpg
Any website updates from JD in the USA is appreciated - thanks

Reactions: DB2

512high

You're right - it did. It took about 3 seconds to show up, and that's why I didn't see it the first time.

I didn't notice this last time - but I'll look for that the next time - if I don't fix it first.

Yeah that's working fine

Let's just use this number, it's the same exact machine and I'm sure that would work; S/N 721088

Thank you everyone - waiting further replies

MG2361 knows his stuff, reason for serial number, the 244J has been out for a while, 2006 first year or so, there may have been software upgrades, prefix change on parts etc.

SERIAL NUMBER plate should be on left side of loader arm area/frame, when you climb in, look to your left, later models may have engraved into machine.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic

Then supply an engine serial number please. I can use that to get your machine serial number. Plate should be on the side of the block near the starter.

The code is E300F

On early serial number machines (below 23289) that code is Invalid Signal From the FNR Switch. It says that an audible alarm will sound once and then disable your drive. I would start there. Code does not appear in the list of higher serial number machines. Could just be an error in the publication.

MuttonJeff

Occupation
Store Manager
I can't get to the machine right now, it's out of the area. I will get my paperwork back eventually and that does have the serial # on it - so we'll take care of that issue when I do get that back.

As far as the control panel, I'm sure that part can be replaced using a serial number of 721088 for now. I'll be waiting for the number to google. Thanks :)