• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB won't move!

cr55

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and I need some help. Yesterday I was running my 96 JCB backhoe model 214. Everything was good until later on when I went to change gears. Now it won't move forward or reverse. Any ideas?. No broken parts of fluids leaking either....Thanks for any help on this.....CR:Banghead

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
This happened to me when I first got my JD310B, I thought the tranny was shot, it wouldnt move. I had it in high gear instead of first gear, dummy me. Im sure thats not your problem, I dont know anything about a JCB, but I would check linkages. Does everything else work OK. I guess drive fluid is OK
Just my 2 cents worth, sometimes its the easy thing that kicks your Butt.

bill onthehill

Check your shifter linkage and see if it came apart. Could be a fork jumped out inside the trans. When you say you changed gears are you talking transmission or f/r shuttle?

cr55

I was changing gears in the transmission from 1st to 3rd. Now it won't move. The dealer said to look for an electrical problem as most of the tractor seems to be electric. My worse nightmare!:pointhead....CR

amunderdog

My Case did the same thing one day ... Do not know if it is relevant to JCB.
The Clutch cut out solenoid had stuck. It was easy enough to fix. Did not even need to buy parts.
Does JCB even have a clutch cut solenoid?
Anyway that’s my story.........................

Last edited:

cr55

The person at the dealer told me to check that also. but I'm not sure how to do that.The last thing I did was to push the clutth solenoid on the shifter so I could change gears.....CR

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
The person at the dealer told me to check that also. but I'm not sure how to do that.The last thing I did was to push the clutth solenoid on the shifter so I could change gears.....CR

Sounds like it might be the clutch button you pushed is now stuck.

amunderdog

So try the easy thing first. Stuck button/switch
Then if that fails you will need i map to find the solenoid.
Take it apart clean it up and live again.
Anyway we all agree this is most likely simple problem.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
My JCB snapped the rear axle twice. Its a known problem with them. Symptoms are machine simple won't move forward or reverse. Can happen at any time. Dead giveaway is front axle drives, rear doesn't. Check the drive shaft to the axle. If it is turning, the machine should be moving. If it isn't, then you have snapped one of the drive shafts at the diff. Will cost about $2000 to fix. JCB has a fix for it, an upgraded beefier shaft and yoke. Good luck

cr55

Thanks for the help guys! Turned out it was a stuck clutch cut out switch on the gear selector. Took it apart and cleaned it. Now it works fine. I already checked for the broken axle, Been there done that! It wouldn't move in 4wd like last time... Again thanks a million!.....CR

harrywat

Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and I need some help. Yesterday I was running my 96 JCB backhoe model 214. Everything was good until later on when I went to change gears. Now it won't move forward or reverse. Any ideas?. No broken parts of fluids leaking either....Thanks for any help on this.....CR:Banghead

Had something like that happen on a case 580. Turnd out the parking brake engaged and wouldn't release.

lee

hi you could have electical problems check fuses relays solenoid on top of box is the oil level ok there is a pear shaped plate at the bottom of box near drain plug take this off drain oil first this is a strainer if its full of rubbish something wrong in side box if you still not sure google digger doctors uk they will help you