• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB Rack and Pinion Slew

AussieChris

I was wondering if one of our JCB experts could tell me if the JCB Rack and Pinion slew system has any adjustment for wear or backlash by shimming or otherwise. I have a late model 1CX (208S) but the slew system is similar to the earlier 3CX machines. I have the full workshop manual and owners manual but there is no description of this other than replacing the hydraulic seals on the pistons. This machine has just less than 1100 hours so is generally tight but there is a fair bit of play in the slew.

Also, the bottom seal on the slew box is leaking ever so slightly so I wouldn't mind installing a new seal there. Unfortunately, I have no access to a parts manual and the dealer wants a fortune for one and won't guarantee it would be right for the machine anyway.

Otherwise I am super happy with this versatile little digger.

Chris.

jcb jeff

backlash is often wear related but no way of shimming between rack and pinion.
The leak will either be on the left or on the right slew pots there is a oring on the housing under the 4 bolts on each side,or where the boom base pivot is you will see a head of a bolt this will have a sealing washer as this goes into the rack to form a guide to keep the slew rack in the correct orientation.

AussieChris

Thank you Jeff.

I don't think I'll be paying for a new rack and pinion so I'll just have to put up with the play.

The oil leak is coming from the bottom swivel/pivot point. Is part 19 listed as a seal? If so would you have the part number? Likewise with item 15 or 20 - it's not leaking there but I guess I'd need to replace a seal there too when I pull it apart.

I'm also chasing part numbers for the seat armrests (series 2 with EasyControl) as they have cracked. I wish I could buy a parts book for this machine.

Thanks again, your help is much appreciated.

Chris.
Serial # is JCB1CXWSC01743173

jcb jeff

Hi Chris
From the serial number its a bit different i think.

Attachments

• 1cx.JPG
    1cx.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 13
  • 1cx1.JPG
    1cx1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1cx2.JPG
    1cx2.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 1cx3.JPG
    1cx3.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 5

AussieChris

That's awesome, thank you Jeff.

I can't really tell externally but I'm pretty sure you're right with the 2nd exploded view of the kingpost. The casting/part number on the cylinders (item 8) certainly matches as 332/R5971. Not sure if that's changed from the early models. So I'm thinking I will need the seals 17, 19 and 20.

With regards to the arm rests, I have attached a couple of images (should have cleaned the machine first). They are little stubby ones but are the same as those shown in the brochure for machines fitted with EasyControl.

Thanks again for your efforts providing those parts lists.

Chris.

Armrest1.jpg
Armrest2.jpg
Armrest3.jpg