• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB JS 220 2006 Weak Travel Speed

Cork Rebel

Hi from Ireland

Travel has become weak and slow on this machine on all 3 travel modes. I notice that speed increases a little when boom is raised while tracking. Reverse also seems a bit faster but this could be due to slack on the chains allowing the motors to start easier and get momentum. Any ideas?

Thanks for any suggestions

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Seals are the first place I would look at. Every time that my tracks get weak on my Komatsu PC200 it's the same thing, the seals are going out in the swivel joint. If the tracks work fine in low but not high range, it can be a seal gone out to the shift valve. If the motors won't pull in heavy load conditions but do fine on flat, hard ground, it's likely the seals.

Buy a couple of Tyvek disposable suits. You will have to climb into the belly of the beast from the bottom and you will get soaked with oil. Nitrile gloves will also be a good choice to keep some grip. Do yourself a favor and rig a lift system to pull the swivel out with - they can be pretty heavy. Have fun. I've had too much experience with this and I think mine is due again.

skata

Seals are the first place I would look at. Every time that my tracks get weak on my Komatsu PC200 it's the same thing, the seals are going out in the swivel joint. If the tracks work fine in low but not high range, it can be a seal gone out to the shift valve. If the motors won't pull in heavy load conditions but do fine on flat, hard ground, it's likely the seals.

Buy a couple of Tyvek disposable suits. You will have to climb into the belly of the beast from the bottom and you will get soaked with oil. Nitrile gloves will also be a good choice to keep some grip. Do yourself a favor and rig a lift system to pull the swivel out with - they can be pretty heavy. Have fun. I've had too much experience with this and I think mine is due again.
How many hours do seals go bad at typically?

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
How many hours do seals go bad at typically?
I would hazard a guess at about 7 years. I've had my hoe since '97 and I know I've rebuilt it twice already. Feels like it might be due again. It only has about 8800 hrs on the clock. I've used OEM seals but if I do it again, I will be looking at aftermarket or China.