• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Jcb brake chatter?

skata

I have a late model 509-42 and am on a job with some hills. And the weather is warm, and thus the brakes are chattering a little. I had changed the axle oils last year with jcb brand oil.
Is there an additive I can add to stop the chatter?

Txhayseed

We use ford friction modifier in most of our axles. It helps keep brake chatter down a lot especially in the old skytraks. I would thing one brand is good as the next.. We just use the motorcraft due to the fact everyone carries it.

skata

We use ford friction modifier in most of our axles. It helps keep brake chatter down a lot especially in the old skytraks. I would thing one brand is good as the next.. We just use the motorcraft due to the fact everyone carries it.
I see it comes in 4oz bottles. How much would you add to each axle?

skata

Called Local cat dealer and he says he can't get the additive for at least a month. I guess there's a shortage. I'll have to search wear else I can find.

Txhayseed

You can get the cat stuff from jlg/genie/skytrac/amazon/ xyz. If you pull up the msds aside from the cat bottle its the same as almost all limited slip addatives in its product range.

skata

You can get the cat stuff from jlg/genie/skytrac/amazon/ xyz. If you pull up the msds aside from the cat bottle its the same as almost all limited slip addatives in its product range.
I swung by O'Reilly tonight. Bought 8 bottles of the Ford friction modifier. $5 bottle.
I figure I'll put 4 bottles in each axle. I think the axle takes almost 4 gallons of gear oil.

Mike-G

Occupation
Engineer
I swung by O'Reilly tonight. Bought 8 bottles of the Ford friction modifier. $5 bottle.
I figure I'll put 4 bottles in each axle. I think the axle takes almost 4 gallons of gear oil.
Did that work?