• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCB 814 Super

TAS

Maybe you got a point with the boom & dipper setup. The reach should be around 12 m. The hours are unknown - the clock is defect.

Eddiebackblade

Well TAS you seem to have turned up a real beauty of an 814.
It certainly seems all there with no panel damage and all obvious bits present and correct.
It's obviously had a good clean off (If it's not been washed recently buy it now!) however I prefer to see machines in working condition.
With regard to the long reach set up, it was designed for the purpose and should perform adequately.(814's are hopeless lifting machines anyway)
My advice would be try and 'hire to buy' if you have some suitable work to do with it.
This will give you the opportunity to give it a fair trial before parting with your cash.
If you are limited to a test drive, just make it a long one and get it nice and hot on the hydraulics (touch the counterweight and you will know how hot!)then check all over for leaks.
Press the powerslide(buzzer should sound) switch to unlock it, then push the boom in and lock it again. With the boom full retracted pull against something solid to see if it will slide out whilst locked. Then extend it fully out and see if it will push back in whilst clamped again.
The powerslide has wear bars (expensive) and simple shims to take up any slack (cheap and easily copied).
With being a long reach, pay particular attention to the slew ring and the slew brake operation. Any play or jerky operation then walk away.
Everything should work electrically as it's all fairly basic and the test switch will light the warning lights.
The engines are real low tech and generally produce a bit of smoke and like a drop of oil but generally go on forever.
The undercarriage looks ok, and it should track straight if somewhat slowly!
I could go on and on but if you have anything that concerns specifically I will try to assist.
Really hard to value in the current climate, only you will know what work you have lined up for it but it looks tidy and should reward you with many hours work if you look after it.
Could you tell me what they are asking in English Pounds?
Best of luck
Eddie

TAS

Eddie, thanks for taking your time and for your assistance in evaluating this machine (which is new terratorry for me). It is very apreciated.

The asking price is aprox. 13.000 GBP which seems high to me when compared to what a similar 814 (without long reach) costs in the present market which to my knowledge is between 5 and 7.000 GBP. I dont know how much should be added to this price for the long reach feature, but it seems to much to double the price. What do you know about second hand prices for theese machines?

Eddiebackblade

Hi TAS,
any of the 12 metre reach from our Enviromental Agency seem to get pitched around the 10 to 12,000 pounds region.
I have never gone after one, but would not hesitate to purchase one if a job came along big enough to warrant one.
However realistically I have never paid over £6,000 for an 814 and would possibly go to around £9,000 for something as tidy as the one pictured in Long Reach form if I had suitable work to take a fair chunk off that asking price straight away.
The thing to remember is to bid low (especially in the current climate) as you can always go up!
Best of luck,
Eddie.

TAS

Hello Eddie,
Thanks for your advice. I will certainly take it into consideration in my negotiations. I will keep you posted.
Tom

mike 360*

here is a pic of a local 814 that has been parked for around 2years plus, maybe more. The owner was an ex forestry contractor, basically some of his kit got parked up, and never used again! I remember many years ago it was on a clearfell near my home and had a harvesting head, no doubt its last job was to pur some forest roads in...

Attachments

• 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 2,247
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 2,279
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,505

TAS

Thanks for the pictures. Although an elderly lady she doesn't look 100% dead to me - maybe a job for Eddie :) It says "Risk zone 60m"!! Its a very dangerous machine :) By the way: I have given an offer on the long reach and await reply.

TAS

Just to inform that I have made arrangements to visit UK next week to check out the JCB long reach machine. I will keep you posted.

grey cab

jcb 814

here is a pic of a local 814 that has been parked for around 2years plus, maybe more. The owner was an ex forestry contractor, basically some of his kit got parked up, and never used again! I remember many years ago it was on a clearfell near my home and had a harvesting head, no doubt its last job was to pur some forest roads in...

hi mike, I am looking for a jcb 814,to replace one that was stolen,I would like this machine as a collectors item,the one in your photos would be ideal,do you know if this machine is for sale ? thanks grey cab.

plymouthfury

814 white cab 1985

hello to all,
im very pleased to find a site dedicated to 814's, only last week i sold a little mini digger and the chap who bought it also wanted to purchase my 814 but i found it very difficult to sell her but the money was good (well certainly more than i paid for her 4 yrs ago) but as he was arranging a low loader to collect her i changed my mind and gave his money back, mine has had a bit of work done to her, ie new slew motor and slew ring, recon track motors, welded up rams, recon turbo 6cyl perkins and a serviced spool valve, it then got vandalized, windows broken, seat slashed cut hoses etc, didnt run properly, this is when i got her, i used to be a plant engineer and needed a machine, not done anything to her other than a little oil, fuel filters, it wouldnt stay running and i eventualy found the fault to be the fractured fuel pickup pipe inside the tank just below where its mounted to a bracket, is this common problem ?, i dont know what engine she has other than a perkins but she is a turbo, started motor on the otherside compared to pics ive seen on this site, modified exhaust, oil filller is in the middle of the rocker cover not at one end as shown in some pics on here), my tracks are well worn where they run round the sprocket but i run them a little loose and they dont bind up, wide tracks, it isnt a fast machine but its been so reliable i cant fault it, slow tracking and gets tired after running all day, can some one tell me why people say a white cab isnt the one to have and what leaks like a sieve, and are the pumps not very strong on these machines, i just thought she was an old girl that you needed to be gentle with, i dont know what it is but i really like the old girl who my wife calls butterfly as when the bay doors are open she looks like she has wings from the rear and cos she is yellow she called her butterfly. i would be gratefull for any info on what to look out for and or where i can get a owners manual etc and what is likely to cause me problems etc, thanks again.:)

plymouthfury

ps forgot to mention, somebody said something earlier about if it hesitates or clitches when slewing round then to walk away, can i ask why, mine does this when she is cold as well as tracking slowly and as well as no control useage at all untill she has warrmed up and been running for a few minutes, then all hydraulics work and slewing is smooth as is tracking, i just asumed its because she is an old girl, any body got spares or know where i can get spares, could do with a side door on the hydraulic side and probably a few other parts, thanks

massey765

ps forgot to mention, somebody said something earlier about if it hesitates or clitches when slewing round then to walk away, can i ask why, mine does this when she is cold as well as tracking slowly and as well as no control useage at all untill she has warrmed up and been running for a few minutes, then all hydraulics work and slewing is smooth as is tracking, i just asumed its because she is an old girl, any body got spares or know where i can get spares, could do with a side door on the hydraulic side and probably a few other parts, thanks

got a 1985 jcb 811 , breaking for parts, good tracks, + workshop manuel- not sure if it covers grey cabs tho

plymouthfury

jcb 814

hi to all, message for eddie back blade, he seems to be knowledgable about the 814, or to any one else that could advise, today i used my trusty 814 white cab and she ddint work too well on the hydraulics, they were very slow to start working, i grant you its been cold so this i allowed for but then slewing left to right wouldnt work at all until i used the up and down on the boom then it would slew, tracking was slow and then i went to slew again with nothing there untill i used the boom up and dwon again then it would work but as i slewed round it would do it in stages and not smoothly as it has before, can anyone advise as to what may cause this, i also noted the bucket operation wa sslow as well, increasing revs made no difference at all, usualy i can run the machine on tickover and have all the controls and only need to increase revs when she gets hot or has worked for a long time or heavier work is needed, now it makes no difference at all if slow or high revs which makes me think somehting is wrong.

oil levels are ok everywhere, are any of the controls on the 814 white cab controlled by electrics at all, my electrics are apalling but i couldnt see where electrics were required for the operations of hydraulics other than the buzzer / switch for the locking clamp on the slide boom, mine still works when i have fitted a new bulb, when my bulb blows the buzzer still works but the clamp wont, fit a new bulb and it works, lol.

looking back it seems to be getting slower all round, wht could cause this /

thanks to all happy new year.

as i keep telling my wife, if you have to think about buying it, you dont want it enough.

Eddiebackblade

Hi Plymouthfury,
I have very limited experience of the 'white cab' versions of the 814 as I always searched for the 'grey cab' which were a seriously well built and completely underrated machine.
The local story is that it was JCB's last throw of the dice for their own excavators, hence the grey cab being fitted with all rexroth hydraulic gear to try to eliminate some of the troubles.
I have had great success with grey cabs, and the search is back on for another at present, but to get one as tidy as I want will take some searching.

Back to your own, my head just says pumps going down straight away but firstly get the hydraulic filters replaced. There is a huge magnet in the grey cab filter, which I have seen some scary metal on before but never troubled them?
There is also a servo filter for the controls (cast cylinder housing about 5 inches long with a nut on the base) this has probably never been replaced so worth doing also.
Don't attempt it on the machine, just undo the few pipes and bolts that hold it to the frame and hold it in a good vice before attempting to crack it open.
When you're happy all the filters are good and the oil is up to level, if nothing has improved then get the pump checked.
I'm certain you are correct in assuming there is nothing electrical of note, but some have a horrible slew brake switch that people leave on and try to slew with.
These can cause the juddering if in the wrong position and not working properly.

Regarding parts and advice, try the 'Digger Doctor' (google it) I'm sure his name is Lee and he's a JCB trained fitter. He is based Leicester way, but breaks machines as well as selling parts and I have been over there for bits before and he's always been most helpful.

In the main, every 814 I have ever come across usually suffers the same problem, which is blocked suction from the diesel tank. I have had nightmares with these and had all types of bodges to keep things going.
I have found the only answer and it's a horrid job is to remove the access plate from the bottom of the tank and clean it out. It's a good size plate and simple to do but everything will try and run down your neck!
Keep the glass bowl water seperator spotless and things should be ok after.

I hope you get her sorted as these are good old girls, and I've had great success with them.
This last few weeks of bad weather has taught me to get another again, as I was never short of a bit of fill in work when I had an 814, and you can let them stand on a job for weeks without worrying about finance/resale etc.

Eddie.

Richardjw~

A pic taken back in 1991, putting a new water main in.......

jcb814super.jpg

plymouthfury

thanks for the reply

thankyou for the reply, with regaurds to the fuel tank i can see othesr before me have attempted to sort that issue out, when i first got her i would have to bleed the fuel system out and would get around 10 mins running time before it would need doing again, someone had added another fuel pickup line that went down the fuel filler pipe and then to the fuel pump, i eventualy went inside the tank which was somewhat full of shi*, after giving it a serious clean i found a hair line crack in the original pickup pipe where the bracket is welded to the pipe that then fixes to the tank housing, the crack would let air in and then cause the fuel system to fail, if i had a full tank and it was above the crack it was fine but as soon as it dropped below which was around half a tank it would cause problems, i havent yet sorted it out as i cant remember where i put the tank entry plate, so ive been using 25 ltr clear tank placed on top of the machine, it does around 4 hrs constant use and i can see when its low, ive had all sorts of problems here with fuel, it eventualy was water in new fuel i was buying, the owner of the fuel station band me from going there when i complained about the fuel, i took a clear brand new tank to him, we filled it up with fuel, i then froze the fuel tank which froze the water in the diesel, drained the new fuel back out and showed him the remaining frozen water in the tank, all of this was done with him and he still said there was no water in his fuel, so i now place my fuel drums in a old chest freezer for a day, drain of the diesel and then i dont get water in my fuel system.

what exactly are you refering to you when you say remove the filter housing and do it in a vise, where is this part located, i had new oil filters replaced 2 yrs back but it hasnt done much work since then, run half a dozed times really but i will change them.

i do have a slew brake but im told its a hydraulic one not electric, but worth checking, i understand the pumps are poo anyways but after she has warmed up and used for 10 mins id have no problem usualy, it didnt cause any problems in the summer so i was thinking maybe too cold.

i also had slow tracking a few yrs back and a jcb fitter said to take the track motors off and drain the housing as when the seal leaks the fluid bypasses and slows the tracking down, i seem to remember doing this and it all ran much better hydraulic wise, i may do that again.

im slightly fortunate that what i paid for her 4 yrs ago would still leave me in profit if i were to scrap her at todays scrap value but i do like her a lot, and then you have to find another which is unlikely.

i have to say its been ultra reliable since i have owned it, other then tinkering she hasnt failed in a big way, burst hose last week and the intitial fuel issues but other than that just fine, oh she did burst a water hose cos of sticky thermostate so i run it without one now to be sure it cant happen again.

can a pump fail that quickly or just slow in performance, moving the boom in and out and tracking around is still the same so i would have thought the whole perfromance would be effected not just slewing.

ive got some more fuel to freeze and bleed through again so i will change the filters if i can find some and get her well hot and see how she performs.

another reply would be most gratefull

thankyou in advance.

ps nice pic of the 814 on the water main, mine is nothing like that in cleanliness, she was a machine that was repaired at a jcb outlet, new slew motor and ring, repalcement perking 6 cylinder turbo uint, cush drive to pump, recon track motors, welded up rams as they had cracks in, and then some kids trashed it, i bought it and got her running which brings me to the current day, cab is totaly gone but i have a replcement with all the glass etc, just never fitted it, i have the super wide tracks for the lake dredging which is what the original owner was using it for, all the pins and bushes are very good all round, she just needs a bit of time to sort her out, but that time never comes does it.

cheers:)

plymouthfury

update

hi to all and happy new year.
a little update on my jbc from posts listed above, my hydraulics are still slow to start and indeed i get no slew at all when first started, once been running for 5 mins everything comes back on line except the slew, until i move the boom in or out and then its slews, it starts to slew fairly fast but slows right down as if the brake is being applied, can anyone advise on this issue, ie what could be causing it and how to fix it etc.

ive checked all the oil levels, includind the slew motors gearbox. checked all the fittings and controls etc, im out of ideas.

a slow pump was mentioned in the above listing and it was sujested it may be at fault after trying other things first, if i have the throttle at 1/4 throttle i can lift the digger of its tracks with ease and no struggle at all, in fact it lifts so quickly that i thought i was going over at one point, if i had a week pump would the digger not struggle to do this, but it does seem that when using the machine its overall performance is slower, maybe after watching a grey cab perform which was much quicker i now think my white cab is slow.

can ayone tell me what the pump is on these machines, it apears to have 3 seperate pumps all in line, each of these pumps has a take off fitting, im asuming i can use these fittings to power external hydraulics unit ? would the return just flow back to the tank, i found a couple of fittings the have blanking plates in them at the top of the tank ? would i use these, i would like to use my log splitter which did run off a tractor unit but no longer have the tractor.

sorry for the long posts but i simply cannot find anyone with any knowledge for these old machines.

thanks to all. :)

hi all, im new to this website and i have a jcb 805b powerslide, no electrics. gr8 working digger, only problem i have is the slew brake is not working and she drifts around if not on a perfectly flat surface, can anyone help me with how to repair this or any advice,
thanks
dave

waller92

Occupation
Earth moving
Hi lads hows the old JCB's going by the way I'm just after trading an 811 for a 814 super I still think the 800 are the best for farm work as they can lie up for 12 months turn the key with a good bat and away u go as for the slew brake try the small valve block under the cab and try to lift off thr slew motor and that will bring u down to the brake but first of all try the oil level in the slew box hope that of some use to u so happy digging to u all david

v8detroit

jcb 811

got a 1985 jcb 811 , breaking for parts, good tracks, + workshop manuel- not sure if it covers grey cabs tho

hi just wondering if you still have the workshop manual for the 811 and would be interested in it and a few bits of the 811 if you still have it regards john